Log of accidents on City Hall properties includes dog bites, broken bones and Stanley knife cut

Log of accidents on City Hall properties includes dog bites, broken bones and Stanley knife cut

CITY council documents show one person was bitten on the stomach by a dog and another had their noses broken in a stair fall on local authority-owned properties in the last two years.

Records released to The Echo under the Freedom of Information Act (FOI) show 37 accidents, resulting in injuries, were recorded on Cork City Council-owned properties in 2017 and 2018.

In July 2017, a security guard had his finger broken while closing doors rapidly “due to [the] presence of aggressive teenagers approaching”.

In the same month, a person carrying out measurements at a council site was speaking to a neighbour of the property when a dog jumped a wall and bit the worker in the stomach. The incident was reported to the Gardaí.

A plumber was bitten by a dog owned by a tenant of a council house in November 2018.

The report of the incident said: “A plumber was carrying out a repair, the tenant had kept his dog locked in the kitchen. The plumber went to check if the main was off, and when he entered the kitchen the dog jumped up and bit him above the elbow.” 

A Health and Safety Authority ‘tool box’ talk was completed on working around issues such as this for workers at a council depot following the incident.

A broken toilet bowl was responsible for piercing the glove of a worker after it split in April of 2018, which prompted the council to ensure all staff must have tetanus vaccinations in date.

Another person, outlined as a female, broke her nose after falling down the stairs in a council-owned building. No action to improve health and safety was deemed to be needed after the incident.

One worker cut their arm with a Stanley knife due to “poor work practice” and they were required to partake in training in the use of sharp cutting tools. Another suffered a laceration to their hand due to a sharp edge on a protruding power washer.

A slippery surface was deemed the reason behind a worker suffering a fall on the roof of City Hall in February 2017 with a new surface applied to prevent it from happening again. Rubbish left on the floor was recorded as the reason behind a slip on the floor of City Hall in October 2017.

Information on compensation payments paid out in relation to accidents and records as to whether the people involved were council workers, contractors or members of the public were not given as the council’s FOI department said this was not recorded in reports.

More in this section

Sponsored Content