Knocknagree rally back against Newmarket to reach PIFC decider

Knocknagree rally back against Newmarket to reach PIFC decider

Knocknagree's Eoghan McSweeney celebrating his side's win over Newmarket in the Bon Secours Cork PIFC semi-final at Kiskeam. Picture: Denis Minihane.

Knocknagree 0-15 Newmarket 0-14

KNOCKNAGREE are through to the final of the Bon Secours Cork PIFC after a hard-fought win over Newmarket at Kiskeam on Saturday.

In the battle of the rivals, bragging rights went to Knocknagree who stormed into the game after the water break in the first half to come from four points down to take the lead.

There was never going to be much between these two sides but the influence of their midfield duo of David O'Connor and Donagh Moynihan was crucial in that period. That started to dominate around the centre of the pitch and with Eoghan McSweeney and Fintan O'Connor finding their range they took over.

Up to then, it had been all Newmarket, who started well and at one stage it looked they were going to run away with it. They hit the first four points before Knocknagree knew what was going on and the break certainly didn't suit them.

A great burst forward from corner-back Aidan Browne added their third and with 12 minutes gone it was 0-4 to no score, with O'Keeffe scoring again.

Gary O'Connor pulled a point back, with Conor O'Keeffe responding for Newmarket. Keeper Patrick Doyle came forward to score from a free for Knocknagree and just before the water break O'Keeffe made it 0-6 to 0-2.

Whatever was said in that minute woke Knocknagree up, with two apiece from McSweeney and Fintan O'Connor. John Fintan Daly put them in front but O'Keeffe scored just before half-time.

Knocknagree kept up their momentum with early points from Gearoid Looney and Matthew Dilworth. Three points just before the water break, two coming from McSweeney, put Knocknagree in the driving seat, as they led 0-13 to 0-9.

O'Keeffe pulled a point back, with Denis O'Connor replying for the winners. With 47 minutes gone McSweeney got the score of the game with a magnificent effort from a sideline to put five between the sides

Credit to Newmarket they never gave up, with Darren O'Keeffe and Tony O'Keeffe both pointing before Browne hit the bar, a shot that would have drawn them level had it gone in.

Browne and Conor O'Keeffe got late points but time ran out for Newmarket and it is Knocknagree who advance to the final.

Knocknagree's Michael Doyle bursts past Newmarket players Paddy Browne and Aidan Browne. Picture: Denis Minihane.
Knocknagree's Michael Doyle bursts past Newmarket players Paddy Browne and Aidan Browne. Picture: Denis Minihane.

Scorers for Knocknagree: E McSweeney 0-5 (0-1 sl), F O'Connor 0-3 (0-2 f), M Dilworth 0-2, P Doyle (f), J Fintan Daly, G Looney, D O'Connor, G O'Connor 0-1 each.

Newmarket: C O'Keeffe 0-6 (0-4 f), D Hannon (f), R O'Keeffe (0-1 f) 0-2 each, A Browne, D O'Keeffe (f), T O'Keeffe, A Browne 0-1 each,

KNOCKNAGREE: P Doyle; G O'Connor, M Doyle, M Mahoney; K Buckley, D Cooper, D O'Mahony; D Moynihan, David O'Connor; M Dilworth, F O'Connor, E McSweeney; G Looney, J Fintan Daly, Denis O'Connor.

Subs: A O'Connor for J Fintan Daly (50), P Collins for D Moynihan, P O'Connor for David O'Connor (both 53), J Dennehy for Denis O'Connor (58).

NEWMARKET: J O'Keeffe; M Browne, A Ryan, A Browne; B Daly, TJ Brosnan, P Allen; C Browne, M Cottrell; B O'Connor, C O'Keeffe, D Hannon; J Ryan, R O'Keeffe, D Culloty.

Subs: K O'Sullivan for D Hannon (26), D O'Keeffe for J Ryan (h-t), P Browne for TJ Brosnan (32 inj), T O'Keeffe for M Cottrell (45), T Murphy for B O'Connor (50).

Referee: Pa O'Driscoll (Bride Rovers).

More in this section

Sponsored Content