PIFC: Kanturk remain on course for double after impressive win over Aghada

PIFC: Kanturk remain on course for double after impressive win over Aghada

Lorcan O'Neill, Kanturk, works the ball out of defence as John Looney, Aghada, gives chase. Picture: Larry Cummins.

Kanturk 0-17 Aghada 0-8 

KANTURK continue to steer a steady course towards a possible double after justifying their strong favourites' status with a convincing win over Aghada in the Bon Secours PIFC quarter-final in Ovens on Saturday.

Next up is a mouth-watering encounter with the favourites Cill na Martra for a place in the decider.

The Duhallow club were pillar to post winners with Aghada coming within two points at one stage in the first-half only for five Kanturk scores either side of the interval to restore their superiority on the scoreboard.

Sandwiched in between was the lone threat to Jordan Fullerton's goal, when Liam Cashman stepped at the opportune moment to fist the ball away from danger in the opening play of the second-half.

A super Paul Walsh point from distance made it 0-11 to 0-5 after 41 minutes and while Kevin O'Hanlon grabbed the next score for Aghada, it was their first in 17 minutes.

Another three-point salvo confirmed Kanturk's position at 0-14 to 0-5 after the second water break as both sides emptied their benches.

Following a quiet opening Kyrle Holland showed his class from placed balls in the second-half with Walsh also impressing in some long-range scoring.

The east Cork club finished with 14 following the straight red card issued to midfielder Michael Russell near the end, but the game was done and dusted at this stage.

Kanturk set their stall out from the start by grabbing the opening four points in almost as many minutes with Cian Clernon causing most of the damage.

Lorcan McLoughin completed the set before a fine left-footed Pearse O'Neill effort opened Aghada's account after eight minutes, but by the water-break, Kanturk still led by four points, 0-6 to 0-2.

Ian Walsh, Kanturk, shields the ball from Aghada full-back Ed Leahy. Picture: Larry Cummins.
Ian Walsh, Kanturk, shields the ball from Aghada full-back Ed Leahy. Picture: Larry Cummins.

Aghada tightened up considerably on the resumption and took encouragement from keeping their opponents scoreless until close to the interval.

Points from John Looney and a Daniel Creedon free cut the deficit to a couple of points only for Kanturk to close out the half with scores from Walsh and a second from corner-back and captain John McLoughin for 0-8 to 0-4.

Apart from that brief scare at the start of the second period Kanturk never look threatened as they now turn their attentions to hurling against Charleville next weekend.

Scorers for Kanturk: K Holland 0-5 (0-4 f, 0-1 45), C Clernon 0-3, P Walsh 0-3 (0-1 f), J McLoughlin 0-2, I Walsh 0-2 (0-1 f), L McLoughlin, G Kenaghan 0-1 each.

Aghada: J Looney, K O'Hanlon 0-2 each, P O'Neill 0-2, D Creedon 0-2 (0-1 f) each.

KANTURK: J Fullerton; J McLoughlin, D Browne, L O'Neill; L McLoughlin, L Cashman, J Browne; J Fitzpatrick, P Walsh; M Healy, A Walsh, L O'Keeffe; K Holland, I Walsh, C Clernon. 

Subs: R Walsh for O'Keeffe 40, A Walsh for I Walsh 45, G Kenaghan for Clernon and B O'Sullivan for J Browne 53, P Leahy for J McLoughlin 59.

AGHADA: R Savage; D Phelan, E Leahy, K O'Shea; T Hartnett, R Power, A Berry; P O'Neill, M Russell; K O'Hanlon, J Looney, C Fleming; C Terry, D Creedon, S Bennett. 

Subs: A O'Connell for Terry 45, J O'Donoghue for O'Shea 54, J O'Hanlon for Berry and A Stafford for Bennett 55.

Referee: J Regan (Lough Rovers).

More in this section

Sponsored Content