Cork man who robbed 'terrified' students in school locker room jailed
A sentence of five years was imposed on the defendant, with the last year suspended.
A Midleton man with a conviction for manslaughter terrified two young students at a secondary school when he robbed them in a locker room and pushed them around violently.
At Cork Circuit Criminal Court, Garda Barry Kilroy testified about the trespass and two robberies committed by Cornelius Horgan at Midleton College at 5.20pm on February 4.
The 43-year-old, who was of no fixed address in the Midleton area, entered a locker room being used by younger teenage students that afternoon.
Garda Kilroy said: “He approached two students and took their phones and wallets, and he was very physical with them and put them in fear.
Slapped
“He pushed the first student with force. He caught another student by his throat and slapped him against the locker and took his mobile phone. He frisked one of them and shouted at him, even when this child was physically upset. He took his Revolut card, his Leap card, and left the locker room.
“Vice-principal Kevin Stanley followed the accused and contacted gardaí, who arrested him in Midleton. The two students are too afraid to come to court.”
Judge Sinead Behan sentenced Horgan to four years in prison.
Horgan’s previous convictions include one for manslaughter, in April 2010, when he struck the victim across the head with a bottle, causing his death three days later.
Chaotic
Marjorie Farrelly, senior counsel, said: “It was a fairly chaotic scene in the school, and the defendant was not making much sense, saying repeatedly: ‘Where are the drugs?’ He brought his dog in with him. He said he was following his dog. The whole thing was utterly chaotic.
“He was very co-operative at interview and he felt bad for the children. He acknowledged the children were scared and he apologised for scaring them. He was in the grip of polysubstance misuse. He was after taking tablets that day. He apologises to the school and to the children.
“Mr Horgan’s own parents suffered from addictions. He ran away from home at the age of 14. He had a largely homeless lifestyle since.”
Judge Behan noted from a psychiatric report on the accused that he has “an antisocial personality disorder, including a reckless disregard for himself and others”.
Outrage
Judge Behan said: “I have no doubt that the two students found it an absolutely terrifying ordeal. And the parents’ outrage and helplessness is very evident in victim-impact reports.”
The judge noted that the defendant put his hands on the vice-principal, Mr Stanley, and was acting in an unpredictable manner. The school has taken new security measures.
“I would like to acknowledge the courage of Kevin Stanley, the vice-principal, who did the best he could in the protection of the children,” Judge Behan said. “I think there is great credit due to that gentleman.”
A sentence of five years was imposed on the defendant, with the last year suspended.

App?




