Gardaí issue bank holiday weekend road safety appeal

The appeal comes following publication of the RSA’s half-yearly report, showing that eight road users have been killed in Cork so far this year.
Gardaí issue bank holiday weekend road safety appeal

The report shows that the number of those killed between the ages of 46 and 65 is now the highest in six years, with a quarter of those killed this year falling within this age range.

An Garda Síochána and the Road Safety Authority (RSA) are appealing to motorists in Cork to travel safely this bank holiday weekend.

The appeal comes following publication of the RSA’s half-yearly report, showing that eight road users have been killed in Cork so far this year.

This figure accounts for nearly 10% of the 91 deaths that have occurred between January and July nationwide, 14 fewer fatalities than this time last year.

The report shows that the number of those killed between the ages of 46 and 65 is now the highest in six years, with a quarter of those killed this year falling within this age range.

In contrast, there has been a year-on-year reduction in the number of young people, aged 25 or younger, fatally injured in collisions.

Of the 91 fatalities, 35 were drivers, 22 were pedestrians, 17 were motorcyclists, eight were cyclists, eight were passengers, and one was an e-scooter rider.

This shows an increase in deaths among vulnerable road users, which encompasses cyclists, pedestrians, and motorcyclists.

The data additionally showed that 27% of fatalities occurred between 12pm and 4pm; 26% occurred between 8pm and 4am, when traffic volumes tend to be lower; Friday through Monday saw the greatest number of fatalities; and 56% of all fatalities occurred on 80km/h and 100kmh roads.

Garda Chief Superintendent Ray McMahon said this is “one of the busiest weekends on the roads”.

“Not just for motorists, but at this time of year, it’s one of the busiest weekends for cyclists and pedestrians,” he said.

“We ask everybody to be very conscious of our vulnerable road users, our cyclists, and our pedestrians.”

more #Cork - News articles

Planning approved for 500 student beds on Sullivan's Quay Planning approved for 500 student beds on Sullivan's Quay
Guitar Player Singing Cork buskers face wave of complaints over noise, offensive performances and rule-breaking
Deputy county mayor hits out at media after 12-week GAA suspension Deputy county mayor hits out at media after 12-week GAA suspension

More in this section

Irish Guide Dogs marks 50th anniversary with Cork art trail  Irish Guide Dogs marks 50th anniversary with Cork art trail 
Cork Sexual Violence Centre calls for introduction of new spiking laws Cork Sexual Violence Centre calls for introduction of new spiking laws
Fresh and cooler weather expected for Cork over coming days  Fresh and cooler weather expected for Cork over coming days 

Sponsored Content

Transform your career, your way: choose MTU part-time education Transform your career, your way: choose MTU part-time education
Keeping their house in order: How PSRA regulation has raised the bar for Ireland’s property services sector Keeping their house in order: How PSRA regulation has raised the bar for Ireland’s property services sector
"My master's at UL taught me that structured learning and a demanding career can coexist" "My master's at UL taught me that structured learning and a demanding career can coexist"
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more