Man who admitted setting fire to bedroom of Cork house was 'off his medication' at the time

A petrol can had been recovered from the bedroom and there was extensive damage to the room.
Man who admitted setting fire to bedroom of Cork house was 'off his medication' at the time

At the Cork Circuit Criminal Court hearing, Shane Hendricks was remanded in custody for sentencing in November. 

A 26-year-old man who confessed to the arson of a house in Knocknaheeny causing damage costing more than €28,000 had sentencing in his case adjourned until November 12 at Cork Circuit Criminal Court.

Evidence was given at Cork District Court previously that Shane Hendricks was at the address at Kilmore Heights, Knocknaheeny, Cork, where the arson occurred on March 25 last year.

Garda Cillian O’Connell said: 

“Gardaí attended a report of a house fire at Kilmore Heights. On arrival, gardaí were met by Cork city firefighters who informed gardaí there had been a fire set in the rear bedroom.

“A petrol can had been recovered from the bedroom and there was extensive damage to the room. Gardaí were also made aware that there were two occupants in the house when the fire was set but were out of it when the gardaí arrived.

“While gardaí were in attendance, Shane Hendricks of Kilmore Heights approached them and said to Garda David O’Donoghue 'I did it, I set fire to the room'. 

“On being searched at the scene he was found to have a burnt lighter in his pocket. He said in interview that he had consumed a number of cans of alcohol prior to setting the fire while at home and (was) off his medication which (were) prescribed.” 

At the Cork Circuit Criminal Court hearing, Shane Hendricks was remanded in custody for sentencing in November. 

In the meantime a doctor’s report was sought by defence barrister Emmet Boyle in light of “unfortunate mental health and psychiatric history.”

more Cork crime articles

Peep Hole in the door to a Prison Cell Woman who tried on €3.6k diamond ring in Cork jewellers and replaced it with fake one jailed
Telehandler used in theft of ATM from Bank of Ireland in east Cork Telehandler used in theft of ATM from Bank of Ireland in east Cork
Garda investigation launched in Cork following second armed robbery in three days Garda investigation launched in Cork following second armed robbery in three days

More in this section

Relative holding trembling hand of senior woman with Parkinson's disease lying in hospital bed at medical ward. Diagnosis and tr Elderly in nursing homes awaiting transfer to facilities closer to family
No eye injuries in Cork following solar eclipse No eye injuries in Cork following solar eclipse
New Christmas event for Cork city intended to become 'long-term' tradition for Leeside families  New Christmas event for Cork city intended to become 'long-term' tradition for Leeside families 

Sponsored Content

Transform your career, your way: choose MTU part-time education Transform your career, your way: choose MTU part-time education
Keeping their house in order: How PSRA regulation has raised the bar for Ireland’s property services sector Keeping their house in order: How PSRA regulation has raised the bar for Ireland’s property services sector
"My master's at UL taught me that structured learning and a demanding career can coexist" "My master's at UL taught me that structured learning and a demanding career can coexist"
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more