Garda investigation launched in Cork following second armed robbery in three days

The incident occurred at approximately 5.05pm at The Shamrock Stores on Main St in Passage West.
Garda investigation launched in Cork following second armed robbery in three days

An Garda Síochána have confirmed that an examination of the scene has been completed.

A garda investigation has been launched following an armed robbery in Passage West on Monday, the second armed robbery to occur across Cork in a three-day period.

The incident, which occurred at approximately 5.05pm at The Shamrock Stores on Main St, saw an individual man enter the premises armed with a gun, and threaten staff.

A spokesperson for An Garda Síochána confirmed to The Echo while “no shots were discharged” during the incident, the man did steal a sum of cash from the business before exiting the premises.

"A lone male, armed with a firearm, entered the premises and threatened a staff member before leaving the scene with a sum of cash,” the spokesperson said.

“The scene has been examined and investigations are ongoing.

“No additional information is available at this time.” 

Fianna Fáil Cork South Central TD, Seamus McGrath said due to the severity of the incident, he has urgently raised the matter with local gardaí.

“From my own point of view, because it was such a serious incident, I have had contact with An Garda Síochána,” said Mr McGrath.

“What I’m hearing back is that they are treating the matter very seriously, and that a dedicated investigations team has been set up.

“It’s a terrifying ordeal for any staff member to have to go through, so it’s important that An Garda Síochána follow through and investigate this thoroughly.

“When someone goes to work in a shop or any other outlet, their safety should never be compromised.” 

Fine Gael councillor for the Carrigaline electoral area, Úna McCarthy, said her thoughts are with the staff members “who experienced this really frightening ordeal”.

“I am a teacher in Passage West, I’m from the area originally, and this is shocking,” said Ms McCarthy.

“The Shamrock Stores is synonymous with Passage, it’s in the middle of the town centre.

“I commend An Garda Síochána for their swift response and I would encourage anyone with any information that might be able to assist them in their investigation to come forward.” 

This incident comes only three days after another armed robbery which occurred at the Credit Union in Togher on Friday.  

The robbery, which also resulted in a sum of cash being stolen, saw the temporary closure of the branch until Monday morning.

more Cork crime articles

Garda initiative aimed at reducing crime along coastline relaunched in West Cork Garda initiative aimed at reducing crime along coastline relaunched in West Cork
Judge Mary Dorgan honoured at retirement after years of service in Cork courts Judge Mary Dorgan honoured at retirement after years of service in Cork courts
Cork Prison had highest level of prisoner-on-prisoner assaults last year Cork Prison had highest level of prisoner-on-prisoner assaults last year

More in this section

Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim it is moving operations to US Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim it is moving operations to US
New books by young Cork author were inspired by his dog New books by young Cork author were inspired by his dog
Cork City Marathon medal for running brothers Cork City Marathon medal for running brothers

Sponsored Content

City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out 55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more