Activist home attacked as illegal dumping crisis intensifies

Activist home attacked as illegal dumping crisis intensifies
The scene outside Ellis's Yard, where rubbish was dumped on Tuesday night.

Local activist against illegal dumping Noreen Murphy was attacked on Wednesday night when vandals dumped manure on her car outside her home.

Noreen Murphy has played a big part in getting the council to carry out a big clean up of the Ellis Yard site back in March, where over five tons of asbestos was removed.

On Wednesday night, Ms Murphy’s car was vandalised when someone dumped manure on her car. It’s unconfirmed what the motive is behind the attack but Murphy feels it is related to her active stance in illegal dumping.

Local activist Noreen Murphy, found her car covered in manure on Wednesday night.
Local activist Noreen Murphy, found her car covered in manure on Wednesday night.

An investigation is on-going with Gardaí examining CCTV footage from the area.

Speaking to The Echo, Murphy has said that if priorities were in the right place, this wouldn’t be happening.

“Cork City Council have not been doing their job because they don’t have the resources to do it and the resources that they do have, they choose to spend on other things, rather than keeping people safe,” Murphy said.

Cork City Council have been in an ongoing battle to prevent the illegal dumping that has taken place in Ballyvolane area.

Last year, fire services were called to the Ellis’s Yard site 90 times due to waste being set on fire and on-site security had also been threatened, along with their security booth burnt down. Noreen Murphy told The Echo that people in the community, including her own family, do not feel safe in their own homes.

“The Gardaí are chronically under-resourced. Call on the commissioner, call on the City Council or call on whatever minister to give us more Gardaí because we do not feel safe in our own homes and it’s not just me.” She said.

Councillor Kenneth O’Flynn has also spoken out against the illegal dumping, saying that enough is enough.

The site was hit again with more illegal dumping on Wednesday morning, as the council weigh up their options on how to put a stop to it. Cllr Kenneth O’Flynn has hit out against those who continue to litter the area, telling The Echo that enough is enough.

“Cork City is not available to facilitate illegal dumping,” O’Flynn continued, “enough is enough, we are taking back our city.” The rubbish that was dumped on Wednesday is being examined by Gardaí for any name or addresses, with prosecutions to follow for partaking in illegal dumping.

There were six prosecutions issued in connection to the illegal dumping that took place towards the end of April.

More in this section

Sponsored Content

summersoaplogosml

Catch up on the latest episode of Annie May and the Hit Brigade written and read by  Mahito Indi Henderson.

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more