A Cork woman was left scrambling after the Douglas Village Shopping Centre fire left some of her wedding plans in disarray just days before the big day.
Douglas native Niamh Collins was due to get her hair and nails done, along with members of the bridal party, at the shopping centre on Wednesday, ahead of her wedding to fiance Darragh the following day.
However, a fire that ripped through the car park on Saturday caused structural damage to the shopping centre which is to remain closed for the foreseeable future.
As a result, the hair salon and nail bar Niamh booked months ago are closed.
Speaking to The Echo, Niamh explained there was a bit of a last minute panic to ensure the bridal party could get their nails seen to tomorrow and get their hair done ahead of the big day.
“We saw the fire on the news after it broke out but we were hoping that it would be able to reopen before now,” she said.
“Unfortunately for the shops and workers involved, they haven’t and it also left my plans up in the air.
“It is a bit stressful because I booked these things months ago and you think you’ve everything sorted until something like this happens,” she added.
“I got onto my hairdresser at Leonard’s Hair and Beauty straight away and she agreed to come out to the house so we got that sorted.
“I’m delighted because I’m sure they’re reeling following the ordeal.”
Niamh said the nail bar she was due to attend were not in the position to do the same and there was a scramble to find alternative arrangements.
“My mom was ringing people for hours trying to find an appointment for tomorrow because we need to get the nails done the day before the wedding,” she explained.
“I was calling friends and I even tweeted out an appeal for recommendations on Twitter.
“I was overwhelmed with responses from people - it’s great to see that sense of community and care is coming to the fore after such a tragic event,” she added.
“Eventually, we got sorted with a nail bar out in Bishopstown Beauty Salon so I’m delighted and the panic is over.
“Everyone who responded and got in touch with recommendations were great.
“You can see that sense of community and support in Douglas and it’s great to have for everyone who was affected by the fire,” said Niamh.
“Hopefully, the centre can get back on its feet soon.”