Two more businesses reopen following the Douglas fire

Two more businesses reopen following the Douglas fire
Conor Falvey, Falvey's Pharmacy in Douglas which reopened on Friday, eight weeks after the Douglas fire. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

IT was good news for Douglas Village on Friday as two businesses in the area managed to re-open. 

Falvey’s Pharmacy, located immediately adjacent to Douglas Village Shopping Centre has been closed for two months following the devastating fire that ravaged the centre’s car park.

“It’s been a long eight, but we got there in the end,” owner Conor Falvey told The Echo. Fortunately, there was no damage done to the pharmacy at the time of the fire, but the power supply was connected to the shopping centre. “We’ve had to source our own power after the fire. All our services were gone and it was a very tough eight weeks for all involved”, Conor continued.

After a problematic few days and some uncertainty as to whether it would happen, Falvey’s managed to open their doors at 11:30am on Friday, much to the relief of Conor and his staff. “It’s great to see a little life back in Douglas Village. We were one of the lucky ones,” Conor said.

In the interim, Falvey’s committed themselves to monitoring their phone and updating customers with their progress. In a gesture of amazing kindness, Conor managed to keep on all of his staff and paid them for the duration of the closure. “Good staff are hard to come by and I’m very lucky to have the team that I do,” Conor told The Echo.

Falvey’s has been in operation in Douglas Village since 1975, but it will take time to build their business back up. “We would like to thank all of our customers for their support and patience over the last eight weeks,” Conor said. It’s now business as usual for the pharmacy, which is operating out of the same position Monday-Saturday from 9am-6pm. Conor extended his congratulations to Plum Nail Bar who also managed to re-open at midday on Friday.

Taking to social media, Plum Nail Bar thanked their customers for the continued support. The team also thanked their boss for keeping them in a job for eight weeks and for remaining positive during the difficult time period.

More in this section

Sponsored Content