Coronavirus: Decision to close some SouthDoc centres comes under scrutiny

Coronavirus: Decision to close some SouthDoc centres comes under scrutiny

PUBLIC representatives have begun questioning the wisdom of closing some SouthDoc centres in Cork during the coronavirus outbreak.

The out-of-hours GP service is to close some clinics across Cork as part of contingency plans to keep the service in operation over the coming weeks.

It will see SouthDoc operate from seven treatment centres across the south west - Bandon, Bantry, Mallow, Midleton, Kinsale Road roundabout, Killarney and Tralee.

Other centres will be locked down and sterilised as necessary. These include Castletownbere, Clonakilty, Blackpool, Dunmanway, Fermoy, Kanturk, Macroom, Skibbereen and Youghal.

An email sent to GPs in the region from Joanne Montgomery, chair of the SouthDoc board, informed doctors that each doctor rostered for duty will attend the one covering that area.

For example, doctors covering Blackpool will instead go to Kinsale Road, while Macroom doctors will work from Bandon when on duty in SouthDoc.

"We are in unprecedented times," said Ms Montgomery.

"We are doing this to protect the health of us the members and our staff and thus being able to provide a continued service," she added.

"The reason for the consolidation of treatment centres is we expect reduction in staff and doctor numbers as time goes on due to illness/self-isolation."

However, Labour TD Sean Sherlock has said the decision to close the Fermoy SouthDoc branch is perplexing.

"This is causing major upset and GPs themselves are perplexed by this decision," he said.

"As a funder of the service, the HSE must put pressure on the board of SouthDoc to change this decision. 

"We have yet to see the evidence at this time that the services that were to be redeployed to Mallow and Midleton have actually been redeployed. 

"This decision raises more questions than it answers. I do not see any logic for this. The reasons given don’t appear on the face of it to stand up to scrutiny.“

Cork city councillor Ken O'Flynn has questioned the decision to close the Blackpool SouthDoc centre.

"I have written to the board of SouthDoc requesting that they reverse the decision. I have spoken with some local GPs. They are very concerned about this move."

more Coronavirus articles

Close-up of a hand holding a positive antigen test for COVID-19. 67 cases in Cork as highest national covid rates of 2025 recorded last week
Professor Anne Scott Covid appeal Ireland's Covid review is not public inquiry and 'not here to point fingers', chair says
Coronavirus - Mon Feb 28, 2022 CSO launches survey to assess impact of Covid-19 pandemic on public

More in this section

Case of North Cork woman (87) on charge of careless driving causing death is adjourned to June Case of North Cork woman (87) on charge of careless driving causing death is adjourned to June
Overnight water supply disruption warning for parts of Cork city’s northside Overnight water supply disruption warning for parts of Cork city’s northside
Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim it is moving operations to US Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim it is moving operations to US

Sponsored Content

City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out 55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more