Case of North Cork woman (87) on charge of careless driving causing death is adjourned to June
The case was adjourned until June 23 at Cork Circuit Criminal Court. Picture: Dan Linehan
Sentencing of an 87-year-old north Cork woman on charges including one of careless driving causing the death of a woman in Charleville could not go ahead yesterday, and it was adjourned until June 23 at Cork Circuit Criminal Court.
Agnes Foley of Farran, Charleville, had appeared at Cork Circuit Criminal Court before Judge Helen Boyle at the end of April and confirmed her previously entered signed guilty pleas of guilty.
Agnes Foley admitted driving without due care and attention on November 2 2024 at Main Street, Rathgoggin, Middle Charleville, thereby causing the death of Mary Fehilly.
The 87-year-old also pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention on November 2 2024 at Main Street, Rathgoggin, Middle Charleville, thereby causing serious bodily harm to John Collins.
Defence senior counsel Marjorie Farrelly said that before this date the defendant had driven for 60 years without incident. She said this occurred when Ms Foley was carrying out a parking manoeuvre.
“She accidentally put her foot on the accelerator instead of the brake,” Ms Farrelly said.
The senior counsel said the motorist had not driven since, and had written letters to the families of the deceased and of the injured party.
Ms Farrelly said that she was not looking for any reports on the defendant and was very keen to have sentencing take place as soon as possible.
After expressing her condolences to the family of the deceased, Judge Boyle had adjourned sentencing until yesterday but it was not possible to deal with sentencing, so it was specially fixed for hearing on June 23.
Prosecution barrister Imelda Kelly previously said victim impact statements from Mr Collins and from the family of the late Ms Fehilly are to be prepared.

App?

