Teen charged with serious assault which left man in critical condition

Jordan Deasy (19) was remanded in custody to appear before Cork District Court again on January 5th
Teen charged with serious assault which left man in critical condition

Olivia Kelleher

An 18-year-old man has appeared in court charged in connection with a serious assault which left a 29-year-old man in a critical condition in hospital.

Jordan Deasy, of Ravensdale, Heron’s Road in Carrigaline, Co Cork, appeared before Cork District Court where he was charged with assault causing harm to Matt O’Neill in the Glenwood area of Carrigaline on December 28th.

Det Garda Declan Healy gave evidence of arrest, charge and caution. He said Mr Deasy made no reply when the charge was put to him at Togher Garda station on the southside of Cork city at 10.30pm on Saturday.

Det Gda Healy objected to bail arising out of the seriousness of the charge. He told Judge John King that the nature of the evidence against Mr Deasy was strong given that the assault was captured on CCTV.

Det Gda Healy said Mr Deasy had admitted his involvement in the assault and there was witness evidence linking the accused to the scene.

He said clothing seized from Mr Deasy was a match to CCTV footage featuring a man, allegedly carrying out the assault, taken from the scene.

Det Gda Healy added that Mr Deasy failed to go home following the assault and went to another location. He further stated that Mr Deasy destroyed his phone and SIM card prior to his arrest.

The garda expressed concern that Mr Deasy would commit further serious offences if granted bail and added that Mr Deasy was unlikely to turn up for court in the event of bail being extended to him.

Bail conditions

Defence solicitor Diane Hallahan said her client was willing to meet stringent bail conditions such as signing on daily, residing at his home address and being contactable to gardaí by phone around the clock. She said the accused was also willing to obey a curfew.

However, Det Gda Healy indicated he would not be satisfied with such measures.

Judge King said the objections to bail in the case were "well-founded" and remanded the accused in custody until his next court appearance on January 5th.

Mr Deasy will appear by video link on that occasion when directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions are expected.

Free legal aid was granted in the case as the court heard Mr Deasy is unemployed.

The victim in the case remains in Cork University Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery following the incident on Wednesday night.

The attack occurred shortly before 6pm on Wednesday with Mr O'Neill being treated by paramedics at the scene before he was rushed to hospital by ambulance.

More in this section

Sponsored Content

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more