Ben O'Connor says Cork panel will remain fluid

Rebels' defence of Allianz HL title begins with home clash against Waterford on Sunday
Ben O'Connor says Cork panel will remain fluid

Cork hurling manager Ben O'Connor. Picture: Inpho/Natasha Barton

While a 36-player squad has been named for the upcoming Allianz Hurling League campaign, Cork manager Ben O’Connor says that an open-door policy will be in operation.

The Rebels begin their defence of the title with a home clash against Waterford on Sunday.

There are some injury doubts, such as Séamus Harnedy, Micheál Mullins, Tim O’Mahony and Ben Cunningham, and O’Connor expects things to be fluid.

“From day one, any fella that was asked in at the start – and we started with 47 and have it cut now – it's an open policy,” he said.

“If a fella picks up an injury in three weeks' time and he is injured for six weeks, well there is a good chance he is not around for championship, so what is the point of having a fella inside?

“Every fella knows that we'll be moving fellas on [if there is a] dip in form, so you have to keep fellas on their toes, so all them fellas know there is a chance they could be called back in again. I think that is fair on everyone.

“Them fellas get a chance to get back in and the fellas inside, if they are not performing, they'll just have to step aside.”

Included in the squad is Pádraig Power, who scored 1-4 in Cork’s opener away to Wexford last year before suffering a cruciate injury in the game against Limerick a week later. O’Connor is hopeful that the Blarney man will see some league action.

“Yeah, we expect to see Paudie back,” he said, “he's nearly been out for 12 months at this stage.

“Paudie will be back into training with the full panel this week and he'll gradually build up then after that and get back to match fitness. But we'd hope to see Paudie before the league is out.”

New Cork captain Darragh Fitzgibbon, in action against Kilkenny's Fionán Mackessy last year. Picture: Eddie O'Hare
New Cork captain Darragh Fitzgibbon, in action against Kilkenny's Fionán Mackessy last year. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Leading the team out on Sunday will be new captain Darragh Fitzgibbon.

“He's been an All-Star for the last two years and he's one of the more experienced fellas now at this stage,” O’Connor said.

“He's 28 years of age and he's in his prime. Any one of them could have been picked but we just said we'd go with Darragh. We gave him the honour of it and that's all it is -- an honour.

“At the end of the day, what does he have to do? He has to go in and do the same as every other fella. He'll be a bit more busy with ye [media] and a few bits and pieces. But, other than that, all he has to do is go in and perform.”

more Cork GAA articles

Brian Hayes 12/5/2026 Cork v Clare: Brian Hayes targeting further improvement
Cork celebrate winning 18/5/2026 Cork minors to face Meath in All-Ireland quarter-final
Division 1 FL: David Lowney’s late goal earns Clon a point against St Finbarr's Division 1 FL: David Lowney’s late goal earns Clon a point against St Finbarr's

More in this section

Brian Hayes 12/5/2026 Cork v Clare: Brian Hayes targeting further improvement
Dylan McGlade strikes late in crucial Cobh Ramblers victory over Treaty United Dylan McGlade strikes late in crucial Cobh Ramblers victory over Treaty United
Cork City v UCD - SSE Airtricity Men’s First Division Conor Drinan and Hans Mpongo blow Athlone Town away as Cork City win on the road

Sponsored Content

 EirGrid, ensuring nature thrives in journey to cleaner energy future EirGrid, ensuring nature thrives in journey to cleaner energy future
City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more