Kanturk reach PIFC final after extra-time cracker with Cill Na Martra

Last year's runners-up now face Bantry in the decider
Kanturk reach PIFC final after extra-time cracker with Cill Na Martra

Danny O'Connell and Noel O'Leary for Cill na Martra and Kanturk's Ryan Walsh jumping for the ball. Picture: Denis Boyle

Kanturk 1-14 Cill Na Martra 1-13 (after extra time)

KANTURK are through to yet another Premier Intermediate Football Championship final after squeezing past Cill na Martra in a thrilling semi-final in Mallow on Saturday afternoon.

Late points by Ryan Walsh proved to be the difference between the sides after a pulsating encounter that left nothing to the imagination.

Small margins early on saw Michéal Ó Déasuna hit the bar from a free however his compatriot Ciaran Ó Duinnín did get the Gaeltacht side off and running with a nice point on two minutes.

Kanturk hit back with a point from Ian Walsh - a point from Maidcí Ó Duinnín keeping the advantage with the boys in white.

The game’s first major came on eight minutes when a beautiful ball in from Ian Walsh was punched to the net by the in-rushing Grantus Bucinskas – Kanturk now firmly on the move.

A massive point from Colin Walsh and a great save from Kanturk net minder Ronan Cashman kept Kanturk in front but such was the way of this game, Cill na Martra hit back with points from Cianie Ó Fóiréidh, Ciarán ó Duinnín, Michéal Ó Deasúna and Daniel Ó Duinnín as the game headed for half time.

Finén O'Faolain for Cill na Martra chasing Kanturk's Tommy Walsh. Picture: Denis Boyle
Finén O'Faolain for Cill na Martra chasing Kanturk's Tommy Walsh. Picture: Denis Boyle

Points from Colin Walsh and Fionbarra Ó hÉalaithe rounding off the first half – 1-4 to 0-7.

There was to be no let-up in the second half with Kanturk’s Lorcán McLoughlin first to register a score before Kanturk gifted their opponents the second goal of the game.

Keeper Cashman kicked directly to Ciarán Ó Duinnín and the centre-forward made no mistake with his response.

A brace of points from Cill na Martra pushed them three clear but credit to the Duhallow men, they dug deep and had the game back level with five to go.

A late 45 from substitute Jason Mac Cárthaigh looked like settling this one but a monster free from Cashman in added time sent this one to extra time – all forgiven for the young keeper.

The first half of extra time yielded no score but Ryan Walsh (who came back on as a 70-minute sub) proved to be the difference for the Duhallow men.

Hard on a terrific Cill na Martra effort but Kanturk go through to another showpiece game.

Scorers for Kanturk: G Bucinskas 1-2; C Walsh 0-4 (0-1 f); P Walsh, R Walsh 0-2 each; L McLoughlin, R Cashman (f), I Walsh, C Clemon 0-1 each.

Cill na Martra: C Ó Duinnín 1-2; M Ó Deasúna (0-1 mark), D Ó Duinnín (0-1 f), C Ó Fóirréidh 0-2 each; A Ó Cuana, M Ó Duinnín, J Mac Cárthaigh (45), F Ó hÉalaithe, C Mac Lochlainn 0-1 each.

KANTURK: R Cashman; J McLoughlin, J Browne, L O’Neill; T Walsh, D Browne, B O’Sullivan; P Walsh, A Walsh; G Bucinskas, L McLoughlin, R Walsh; A Walsh, C Walsh, I Walsh. 

Subs: D O’Connell for A Walsh (bs) 24 (rev 28), D O’Connell for R Walsh (36), C Clemon for I Walsh (45), L O’Keeffe for L McLoughlin (57), R Walsh for B O’Sullivan (70).

CILL NA MARTRA: P Ó Riordáin; A Ó hUidhir, G Ó Mocháin, F Ó Faoláin; D Ó Conaill, S Ó Fóirréidh, C Ó Fóirréidh; A Ó Cuana, G Ó Goillidhe; F Ó hÉalaithe, C Ó Duinnín, D Ó Duinnín; D Ó húrdail, M Ó Deasúna, M Ó Duinnín. 

Subs: C Mac Lochlainn for G Ó Mocháin (inj, 14), S Ó Duinnín for M Ó Duinnín (42), C Ó Meachair for M Ó Deasúna (50), J Mac Cárthaigh for D Ó húrdail (58), M Ó Deasúna for J Mac Cárthaigh 70).

Referee: J Bermingham (Bride Rovers)

More in this section

Sponsored Content

Echo 130Echo 130


Read all about the monthly winner’s and more.
Click Here


Podcast: 1000 Cork songs 
Singer/songwriter Jimmy Crowley talks to John Dolan

Listen Here

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more