GARY ‘Spike’ O’Sullivan believes he’ll be the one providing the action in Canada tonight as he aims to edge a step closer to realising a lifetime’s ambition.
The Cork middleweight meets Antoine ‘Action’ Douglas of the USA on Saturday night for the vacant WBO Inter-Continental belt in a fight which will also serve as an eliminator for a world title shot.
Now under the promotional banner of Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy organisation, Douglas’ only reversal — besides one draw — in his career up to this point was versus Georgia’s Avtandil Khurtsidze last year. And Khurtsidze has since beaten Tommy Langford to claim the interim WBO World belt.
“My guy Michel Soro fought Douglas a few years back in and the fight ended in a draw. Spike can knock this kid out as he hasn’t a great chin and Spike has huge power,” said promoter Gary Hyde.
O’Sullivan, whose only two defeats were also to world champions, Billy Joe Saunders and Chris Eubank Jnr, has put in what he described as a massive training camp with coach Paschal Collins in Dublin.
The Mahon orthodox reckons he can impress over ten rounds in the chief support bout to Saunders’ WBO World middleweight defence against David Lemieux at the Place Bell Centre in Laval, Quebec.
“I’m the fittest I’ve ever been,” said the Corkman who is eight years older than his 25-year-old opponent. “I believe that will make the difference, I believe I can maintain the intensity and sustain the hard-punching for the duration.”
Douglas only recently teamed up with Golden Boy on a promotional deal but an O’Sullivan victory could see him ink a four-fight contract with the famed American stable.
“In 2018, I want the winner of Lemieux and Saunders fight and go on to win that and fulfil my dream of becoming the champion of the world. To me, fighting out of town makes no difference because I fought most of my career out of town, the USA, the UK,” he added.