Twomey's tally is critical to Newcestown's victory over Valleys

Twomey's tally is critical to Newcestown's victory over Valleys
Carthach Keane, Newcestown is chased by defender Aaron Lyons, Valley Rovers. Picture: Larry Cummins.

Newcestown 1-13 Valley Rovers 0-14

A tally of 1-4 from Tadgh Twomey helped Newcestown through to round 3 of the county SFC as they overcame Valley Rovers at Bandon on Saturday afternoon.

In a tight game, a goal was always going to be crucial and it came Newcestown’s way in the 52nd minute, at a time they trailed by 0-12 to 0-11, having only scored one of the game’s previous five points.

It was a well-worked score. Defender Micheál McSweeney lofted a superb ball into the hands of influential sub Daniel Twomey and he in turn found his brother Tadgh, who did well to create space and finish to the net.

However, Valleys almost replied immediately as Jack Walsh – their best performer all through – sent a delivery to Fiachra Lynch, who laid off to sub Adam Settini. Just as he was about to shoot for goal, though, McSweeney did brilliantly to challenge him and ensure the chance came to nought.

Tadgh Twomey added another point after that put a goal in it and, while Walsh and Lynch pointed to reduce the gap to the minimum, the resultant kickout was won by Carthach Keane, who helped the ball on to Daniel Twomey and he added the clinching point to set up a meeting with Mallow for a quarter-final place.

This game between neighbouring clubs struggled to come to life. Valleys had the wind in the first half and dominated from kickouts, with Avondale United soccer player Walsh doing very well, but while they moved 0-3 to 0-1 ahead early on, they couldn’t build on that.

Newcestown, who had Cork U20 Gearóid O’Donovan picking up breaks and Colm Dinneen on song from frees and carrying the ball well, moved 0-5 to 0-4 ahead after a point from the latter on 20 minutes.

Valleys did have a half-chance of a goal when Fiachra Lynch’s point attempt dropped short and bounced dangerously, but goalkeeper Christopher White did well to clear before Rory O’Sullivan could get to the ball and Newcestown pushed on again as Dinneen landed a big free from outside the 45.

Their Innishannon opponents came back strongly though as John Cottrell landed a fine point and Lynch added a pair of frees to put them ahead again before David Buckley ensured half-time parity at 0-7 each.

Dinneen put Newcestown in front again and when they won the kickout that followed, Mark Kelly fisted over for a two-point lead, repeating the dose after Eoghan Delaney had replied for Valleys.

That made it 0-10 to 0-8 but Delaney had found his groove and twice in quick succession he added more points, with centre-back William Hurley providing the assist with surging runs on each occasion. The latter score might even have been a goal but a deflection of McSweeney sent the ball over the bar.

Following the awarding of a free for an off-the-ball incident, Lynch scored his fifth point to make it 0-11 to 0-10 for Valleys, though at the other end they needed a good intervention from Dave Muckian to stop a Fionn Keane pass reaching Jack Meade.

When Lynch – playing deeper now sent over a close-range free on 47, it put Valleys ahead by two points for the first time but that lead was halved as Tadgh Twomey scored his third point and it was eradicated as Newcestown put together the game’s crucial move to take the lead again with the goal.

Things remained close from there, but Newcestown had the staying power – and could have forged a greater lead but for some inaccurate shooting – but it is they who progress, keeping alive hopes of a quarter-final place and premier senior football in 2020.

Scorers for Newcestown: T Twomey 1-4, C Dinneen 0-4 f, M Kelly 0-2, D Buckley, J Meade, D Twomey 0-1 each.

Valley Rovers: F Lynch 0-6 f, E Delaney 0-3, J Cottrell (0-1 f), J Walsh 0-2 each, D Lordan 0-1 each.

NEWCESTOWN: C White; M Kennelly, C Twomey, T Horgan; G O’Donovan, M McSweeney, L Meade; F Keane, S O’Donovan; C Keane, M Kelly, C Dinneen; J Meade, T Twomey, D Buckley.

Subs: N Murray for Horgan (half-time, injured), D Twomey for Kennelly (51).

VALLEY ROVERS: C Desmond; T Cummins, D Lynch, D Muckian; D O’Shea, A Lyons, W Hurley; K Canty, J Walsh; D Lordan, E Delaney, R O’Sullivan; J Cottrell, F Lynch, P Hurley.

Subs: A Settini for P Hurley (23, injured), I Crowley for Cummins (43, injured).
Referee: J Bermingham (Bride Rovers).

More in this section

Sponsored Content