Clyda clinch the Avondhu hurling title after late drama against Harbour Rovers

Clyda clinch the Avondhu hurling title after late drama against Harbour Rovers
Clyda Rovers' Cian O'Sullivan celebrate's his goal against Harbour Rovers in the North Cork JAHC final at Castletownroche. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Clyda Rovers 2-14 Harbour Rovers 0-19

GOALS by Cian O’Sullivan and Darragh Buckley, who also nabbed the winning point, proved critical as Clyda Rovers finished in style to snatch the Avondhu JAHC title at Castletownroche.

The Glanworth side led for long periods, with former Cork minor Stephen Condon leading the attack impressively, but Clyda battled back to grab the glory.

Harbour Rovers excelled in the half-back line and points by John O’Sullivan and Condon had them 0-4 to 0-1 ahead after 10 minutes.

Seamus Ronayne for Clyda and Padraig Hannon exchanged scores, and while Chris Buckley and Seamus Ronayne split the posts for the eventual winners, Condon’s sharpshooting ensured Harbour Rovers were 0-11 to 0-7 clear at the break.

On the resumption, Glanworth added two rapid points. Clyda kept in touch with a free before the vital first goal, when James and Chris Buckley placed O’Sullivan for raise a green flag.

Clyda made a few substitutes, who all played very well. Chris Buckley and Shane O’Riordan exchanged scores and entering the final quarter, the Glanworth lads were still ahead: 0-15 to 1-10.

Clyda’s defence, which included former Cork footballer Ray Carey, was now on top while they also got a grip in midfield.

Ronayne cut the lead to a single point before fine play by Kenneth Fitzgerald led to a foul on Ben O’Connor with Ronayne levelling.

Harbour Rovers hit the front again through Denis Gallagher and when Stephen Dunne was impeded, Condon nailed the free and added another after excellent work by Dave Pyne.

Five minutes of additional time were announced and Clyda bagged their second goal when Ronan Flanagan set up Buckley, level, 0-19 to 2-13. In a hectic finish, Ronayne and Buckley combined for the winner.

Harbour Rovers had two chances deep in injury time to salvage a draw. Both frees from long range went narrowly wide and the final whistle followed.

Scorers for Clyda Rovers: S Ronayne 0-10 (0-8 f, 0-1 65) C O’Sullivan, D Buckley 1-1 each, C Buckley 0-2.

Harbour Rovers: S Condon 0-13 (0-9 f), J O’Sullivan 0-2, P Hannon 0-2, S O’Riordan, D Gallagher 0-1 each.

CLYDA ROVERS: C Roche; C Kenny, O O’Hanlon, R Carey; R Flanagan, K Fitzgerald (c), J Buckley; N Hanley, S Ronayne; C Flanagan, C Kelly, C Buckley; S O’Connor, C O’Sullivan, D Walsh.

Subs: B O’Connor for S O’Connor (inj), T Buckley for C Kelly, S Kelly for C Kenny, D Buckley for J Buckley.

HARBOUR ROVERS: D O’Sullivan; P Blackburne, B Gallagher, B O’Keeffe; S Finn, J Coughlan, T Condon (c); J O’Sullivan D Pyne; S O’Riordan, E O’Donoghue, P Hannon; J Fitzgibbon, D Gallagher, S Condon.

Sub: S Dunne for J Fitzgibbon.

Referee: Ciaran O’Regan (Ballyhea).

More in this section

Sponsored Content