IFC: Rockchapel hit the ground running in defeat of Kinsale

IFC: Rockchapel hit the ground running in defeat of Kinsale
Rockchael's Seamus Hickey tackled by Tomas Howard (Dromtariffe) in the opening group game. Picture: John Tarrant

Rockchapel 1-17 Kinsale 1-8

ROCKCHAPEL are on course to reach the knockout stages of the Bon Secours Intermediate A Football championship at Donoughmore last Saturday evening after an impressive performance.

The winners were quick out of the blocks leading by 0-7 to 0-0 at the first water break. Kinsale outscored their opponents four points to one in the second quarter but a great start to the second half by Rockchapel saw them put the game beyond Kinsale after forty minutes.

Credit to the ground staff at Donoughmore; who went to great lengths to make their pitch playable after the heavy rain.

While Brian Coughlan worked tirelessly for Kinsale at mid-field with some fine fielding but a solid Rockchapel defence held firm where Eamonn O’Callaghan, Shane Curtin and Moss O’Keeffe excelled and kept the Kinsale attack in check.

Jack Curtin opened the scoring with a free after two minutes and Seamus Hickey doubled the lead with another point on seven minutes.

Two points from Mikey McAuliffe and one each from William Murphy, James Forrest and a Jack Curtin free had seven points on the board before Gearoid Finn pointed a free for Kinsale in the 19th minute.

Finn, who moved outfield from full-forward, started posing problems for Rockchapel and further points from David Coughlan, Colm Donnellan and a Finn free saw the Duhallow side lead 0-8 to 0-4 at half time but the lead could have been bigger had Rockchapel taken points instead of going for goal.

A Jack Curtin free and points from play by Forrest, Hickey and another Curtin free saw Rockchapel double their lead to eight points after 40 minutes.

Points from Brian O’Neill and a Finn free saw Kinsale reduce the margin but the Duhallow side replied with points from John Walsh and William Murphy.

McAuliffe found the Kinsale net five minutes from time after being played in by Forrest.

To their credit, Kinsale battled to the finish David Coughlan netted in added time.

Scorers for Rockchapel: M McAuliffe 1-3, J Curtin 0-4 (0-3 f), J Forrest, S Hickey 0-3 each, W Murphy 0-2, J Walsh, N Lenihan 0-1 each.

Kinsale: D Coughlan 1-1, G Finn 0-4 f, C Donnellan, B Coughlan, B O’Neill 0-1 each.

ROCKCHAPEL: C Murphy; N O’Callaghan, E O’Callaghan, S Curtin; J O’Sullivan, M O’Keeffe, DJ O’Callaghan; C Kepple, S Hickey; J Walsh, W Murphy, J Curtin; M McAuliffe, J Forrest, K Collins.

Subs: L Collins for J Curtin (51 inj), N Lenihan for Walsh (55).

KINSALE: S O’Neill; S O’Brien, C Lane, R O’Regan; K O’Rourke, N McCarthy, D O’Mahony; B Coughlan, D Coughlan; J O’Brien, T Broderick, B O’Neill; C Donnellan, G Finn, H Sheehan.

Subs: C McCarthy for O’Rourke (26 inj), G O’Leary for O’Neill (37), A Ryan for S O’Brien (47), W O’Hea for O’Mahony (52), M Murphy for Donnellan (56).

Referee: C Ó Murchú (Carrigtwohill).

More in this section

Sponsored Content



Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more