Super sub Sheehan nails the winning point as Glanworth stun Kilshannig

Super sub Sheehan nails the winning point as Glanworth stun Kilshannig

Mikie Sheehan was the match-winner for Glanworth as they defeated Kilshannig. 

Glanworth 1-13 Kilshannig 1-12

GLANWORTH pulled off an upset by knocking out Kilshannig in the IFC quarter-final at Killavullen to set up a last-four clash with Rockchapel.

The winners will meet Aghabullogue or Mitchelstown in the county final.

Mikie Sheehan kicked the winning point for Glanworth after entering the fray as a sub, while top-scorer Shane O'Riordan had levelled the game with two points in the closing stages.

Kilshannig's cause wasn't helped by an early injury to Cork U20 Eanna O'Hanlon in a collision with Eric O'Donoghue, which led to a lengthy delay and both players being replaced.

Still, a point from Cork midfielder Killian O'Hanlon from a free had Kilshannig ahead at the water break.

It was tight and tense in the second quarter, with Kieran Twomey and O'Riordan exchanging scores before Dave Pyne and Ger O'Neill worked well for Sean Finn, who hit the net.

Kilshannig tied it up after Colm O'Shea was fouled and Twomey converted: 1-5 to 0-8.

The Glanworth defence were very solid on the restart while the introduction of experienced forward Sheehan made a difference.

Good play by John O'Sullivan to Michael Sheehan led to an O'Riordan point. Kilshannig replied by Jack Kearney after fine work from Colm O'Shea and Darragh O'Sullivan.

In the 38th Kilshannig were ahead when Jack Twomey placed Killian O'Hanlon, who soloed through and buried a goal. 

Michael Sheehan then levelled with a massive point before O'Hanlon scored again, 1-10 to 1-9 at the water break to Kilshanning.

It was nip and tuck as Glen Kennefick scored and Robert O'Driscoll replied. 

O'Hanlon was on the scoresheet again before Barry O'Shea split the posts. 

Then came Glanworth's final push: two points from O'Riordan and Sheehan's winner as the game entered injury time.

Scorers for Glanworth: S O'Riordan 0-8 (0-3 f, 0- 1 45), S Finn 1-0, M Sheehan 0-2, R Murphy, P O'Driscoll, R O'Driscoll 0-1 each.

Kilshannig : K O'Hanlon 1-3 (0-1 f), K Twomey 0-5 (0-4 f), D O'Sullivan, J Kearney, G Kennefick, B O'Shea 0-1 each.

GLANWORTH: S Cunningham, W Blackburne, E O'Donoghue, J Blackburne, P Blackburne, J Coughlan, J Fitzgibbon, D Pyne, R Murphy, J O'Sullivan, P O'Driscoll, S Finn, S Condon, G O'Neill, S O'Riordan.

Subs: B O'Keeffe for E O'Donoghue (inj), R O'Driscoll for R Murphy, P Hannon for P O'Driscoll, B Gallagher for S Finn, M Sheehan for G O'Neill.

KILSHANNIG: G Creedon, C Casey, E Burke, C Murphy, S Murphy, C O'Shea, J Twomey, C O'Sullivan, E O'Hanlon, J Kearney, K O'Hanlon, B O'Shea, D O'Sullivan, K Twomey, O O'Sullivan.

Subs: R O'Mahony for E O'Hanlon (inj), K O'Connell for S Murphy, B Guerin for J Kearney, G Kennefick for O O'Sullivan.

Referee: John O'Leary (Mallow).

More in this section

Sponsored Content