Gardaí investigating reports of petrol bomb fire at home on Cork's southside
A spokesperson for Cork City Fire Brigade said two units had responded to reports of a house fir. Picture credit: Cork City Fire Service
Gardaí in Cork city are investigating an overnight incident of criminal damage by fire in which a home was attacked with what has been reported to have been a petrol bomb.
The incident occurred at approximately 2am on Wednesday morning in a domestic residence in the Tramore Road area of Ballyphehane.
An Garda Síochána said no injuries had been reported, and investigations are ongoing.
A spokesperson for Cork City Fire Brigade said two units had responded to reports of a house fire in the Ballyphehane area.
“Crews responded quickly but when they arrived on scene, the fire had been extinguished, and no action was required,” they said.
“The two units returned to base and the scene was then handed over to gardaí.”
Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire, Sinn Féín TD for Cork South Central, said the community was shocked at the incident.
“Arson attacks put people’s lives, families and children, at risk,” he said.
“It is disgraceful, there is no place for it, and I wish the gardaí success with their investigation because those responsible need to be brought to justice, and swiftly.
Mr Ó Laoghaire said there was a need for a greater garda presence in the area, and he had asked the gardaí to extend its current high-visibility policing out to the south inner city and Ballyphehane.
“Ballyphehane is a proud and tight-knit community and I know people are stunned and disgusted this morning,” he said.
“Those responsible have nothing to offer the community and put people’s lives at risk. I hope they are brought to justice.” Anyone with information is asked to contact the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666111, or any garda station.
App?

