Cork set to receive €140m funding package for national road works

A large tranche of the allocation will go towards M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy motorway, with other projects including the Bandon bypass and Mallow relief road also expected to be allocated funding. 
Cork set to receive €140m funding package for national road works

Earthworks in progress for the M28 motorway under construction at Shannon Park Roundabout, Carrigaline for the M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy motorway, linking Bloomfield interchange with Ringaskiddy port.Picture: Larry Cummins.

Cork is set to receive a significant road funding grant believed to be in the region of €140m, a large tranche of which will be allocated to the M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy motorway.

Cabinet last year gave the green light to the €456m motorway. The scheme, which secured planning in 2018, involves the construction of approximately 11km of motorway from the N40 Bloomfield Interchange to Barnahely near the Port of Cork, with a 1.5km single carriageway protected road linking to the eastern side of Ringaskiddy.

It is expected to take three years to complete, and it will replace the existing N28.

Transport minister Darragh O’Brien, along with Jerry Buttimer and Sean Canney, will today announce the 2026 roads funding allocation, with sources saying that Cork had “got a fair amount” in its allotment.

Among what is expected to be an almost €800m overall funding package for national roads, there is set to be over €700m for regional and local roads.

Cork county will also see funding for other projects such as early-stage work on the long-awaited Innishannon bypass and work on the extension of the Bandon bypass.

The dangerous Ballinrea Cross junction in Carrigaline will see money allocated to progress safety works in the late summer.

Mallow relief rd

Allocations are also expected for progressing bypasses between Midleton and Youghal, Carrigtwohill to Midleton, and works on the Mallow Relief Rd.

Cork City Council, meanwhile, will be given money to progress projects such as the resurfacing of the N27.

Mr Buttimer, the Cork-based minister of state in the Department of Transport, said that he could not comment on individual allocations, but he was “hopeful Cork will do well”.

“I won’t comment on specific projects ahead of the announcement on Tuesday, which I’ll make with Minister Darragh O’Brien and Sean Canney. However, I have been strongly advocating for continued investment in Cork with this year’s road allocation,” he said.

“It is key that projects such as the Innishannon bypass, the Mallow Relief Rd, and many others see investment.

“Our overall allocations to roads in the county and city are going to be increased, and that is a reflection of mine and this Government’s commitment to investing where it matters — in our roads.”

Last November, Mr O’Brien announced his department’s national development plan spending framework. The plan saw some criticism at the level of roads spending. 

That plan includes €1bn worth of capital funding to go towards the second phase of the Cork area commuter rail programme, which includes eight stations and two park-and-ride facilities on the city’s northside.

Read More

Cork City Council considers buying Keatings site for housing

More in this section

Cold case killer Noel Long launches bid to overturn conviction for murdering Cork woman Nora Sheehan 44 years ago Cold case killer Noel Long launches bid to overturn conviction for murdering Cork woman Nora Sheehan 44 years ago
Uisce Éireann to begin work on new water plant for North Cork Uisce Éireann to begin work on new water plant for North Cork
More rain on the way as Met Éireann issues fresh status yellow warning for Cork More rain on the way as Met Éireann issues fresh status yellow warning for Cork

Sponsored Content

Charity places available for Cork City Marathon Charity places available for Cork City Marathon
Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026 Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026
Top tips to protect Ireland's plant health Top tips to protect Ireland's plant health
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more