13th protest in Cork city against Gaza conflict
Approximately one thousand people gathered in Cork city centre on Saturday, December 2 calling for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza. Photo credit: Breda Graham.
Approximately one thousand people gathered in Cork city centre on Saturday, December 2 calling for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza. Photo credit: Breda Graham.
THE 13th protest rally in as many weeks calling for a permanent ceasefire in Gaza is set to take place in Cork City centre this afternoon.
The demonstration, organised by Cork Palestine Solidarity Campaign (CPSC), will commence at 1pm on Grand Parade.
According to the organisers, the event will “hear speakers applaud South Africa for having referred Israel to the International Court of Justice on a charge or genocide in Gaza”.
“Speakers will also rebuke the Irish Government for failing to join the action,” CPSC stated.
Israel’s campaign in Gaza has so far killed 22,400 people, 66% of them women and children, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory.
Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou MacDonald has called on the Irish Government to join South Africa in taking the case against Israel.
In welcoming the Sinn Féin intervention, Mr Carroll said the case will “add to the international pressure” for Israel to end its military offensive in Gaza.
South Africa launched the case last week at the International Court of Justice at The Hague, in the Netherlands, saying the magnitude of death, destruction, and humanitarian crisis in Gaza because of the Israeli military campaign against Hamas meets the threshold of genocide under international law.
South Africa asked the court to order Israel to halt its attacks in Gaza.
Speaking last Tuesday, Eylon Levy, an official in the Israeli prime minister’s office, accused South Africa of “giving political and legal cover” to the October 7 attack by Hamas that triggered Israel’s campaign.
“The state of Israel will appear before the International Court of Justice at the Hague to dispel South Africa’s absurd blood libel,” said Mr Levy.
Keep up-to-date with the top stories in Cork with our daily newsletter straight to your inbox.
Please click here for our privacy statement.
Have you downloaded your FREE
App?

It's all about Cork!
Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more