Gardaí investigate alleged arson attempt at building earmarked for direct provision in Fermoy

It is understood that gardaí in Fermoy are taking the alleged incident very seriously.
Gardaí investigate alleged arson attempt at building earmarked for direct provision in Fermoy

The alleged incident occurred last week when a person threw what is understood to have been a homemade petrol bomb at Abbeyville House in Fermoy. Pic Larry Cummins

GARDAÍ are investigating an alleged incident of attempted arson at a North Cork building earmarked for use as an accommodation centre for people seeking international protection.

The alleged incident occurred last week when a person threw what is understood to have been a homemade petrol bomb at Abbeyville House in Fermoy, a former bed-and-breakfast which is currently being renovated through the International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS) for use as an accommodation centre housing 56 people.

It is understood that gardaí in Fermoy are taking the alleged incident very seriously.

In a statement to The Echo, the Garda Press Office said: “Gardaí are investigating a criminal damage incident at a premises in Fermoy, Co Cork, which occurred on November 22, 2023, at approximately 9pm”.

Abbeyville House closed as a bed-and-breakfast some years ago.

In recent weeks, the listed building, which dates back to the 1850s, has been undergoing renovation and adaptation works in preparation for its planned use as an accommodation centre for people seeking international protection.

Fine Gael councillor Noel McCarthy said he had been shocked to hear of the alleged incident and he condemned it, but he understood local dissatisfaction and protests.

Mr McCarthy said he felt there were legitimate reasons to protest against the number of international protection applicants arriving in the town.

“I think it’s the wrong location and the wrong allocation, what’s going in there... because I don’t think the capacity is there for the 56 people in that house, I really don’t,” he said.

Mr McCarthy added that public representatives were under unprecedented pressure on this issue and he had never seen the town so divided.

The Department of Integration was asked for a comment.

More in this section

Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim saying its moving operation to US Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim saying its moving operation to US
New books by young Cork author were inspired by his dog New books by young Cork author were inspired by his dog
Cork City Marathon medal for running brothers Cork City Marathon medal for running brothers

Sponsored Content

City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out 55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more