Opening of last section of N22 bypass pushed back to next month

There had been local suggestions of a landslide on the last section causing the delay but these were discounted by the Project Liaison Officer who said, while some rock bolting was being carried out, this was to prevent such incidents happening and that there hadn’t been any landslide.
Opening of last section of N22 bypass pushed back to next month

The second section of the N22 Baile Bhuirne Macroom Road Scheme opened earlier this year.

The last section of the N22 bypass of Macroom and Baile Mhúirne was due to open on October 27 but this has now been pushed back until early November, a spokesperson for the project has confirmed.

Work is ongoing on verges as well as rock bolting and other elements of the €280m project and crews are working to ensure the last section, a stretch of 6km from Toonlawn (Tún Lán) to Slievereagh (Sliabh Riabhach) on the western side of the Gaeltacht Mhúscraí village, is finished as soon as possible, Cole Stephens, the N22 Project Liaison Officer, told The Echo.

A 60km speed limit had been put in place on the last 70m of the second section of the bypass – between Carrigaphooka and Toonlawn – when it opened in early August but this was due to expire on October 27 when the third and final section opened.

“It’s going to be the first or second week of November before it’s open now – and they’re going to need every bit of the time,” said Mr. Stephens.

There had been local suggestions of a landslide on the last section causing the delay but these were discounted by the Project Liaison Officer who said, while some rock bolting was being carried out, this was to prevent such incidents happening and that there hadn’t been any landslide.

He said that a small 500m section of the new bypass would be opened this week on the western side of Baile Mhúirne village to allow motorists coming from the Kerry side access a new slip road which would bring them into the village.

Next Saturday a Macroom-based athletics club, West Muskerry AC, is holding a 5km pop-up race on the new section of the bypass, aimed at raising funds for the Ionad Lae (Day Centre) in Baile Mhúirne as well as the local GAA club, Naomh Abán.

Representatives of the local development co-operative, Comharchumann Forbartha Mhúscrai, are also scheduled to meet Transport Minister Eamon Ryan this week when he visits Macroom, where his father was once the local bank manager, where they will discuss their concerns about the lack of signage of the bypass to the Gaeltacht Mhúscraí region and its villages.

Read More

MacCurtain St two-way system will 'dramatically improve' transport facilities in city centre

More in this section

St. Patrick’s Weekend Bank Holiday appeal from The RSA and An Garda Síochána Rise in drink and drug driving arrests prompts call for increased garda presence on Cork roads  
Test results due on dead birds removed from The Lough  ‘next week’ Test results due on dead birds removed from The Lough  ‘next week’
Key in Jail Cell Door Cork man who robbed 'terrified' students in school locker room jailed  

Sponsored Content

Vhi invests in youth projects to manage anxiety and build resilience Vhi invests in youth projects to manage anxiety and build resilience
Shared waters, shared futures Shared waters, shared futures
When the weather is part of the plan – The model that inspires European rugby When the weather is part of the plan – The model that inspires European rugby
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more