A NORTHSIDE community is reeling in shock after a five-year-old girl presented two bags of heroin to her family that she found while out playing with friends.
Gardaí in Gurranabraher have opened an investigation as to the origin of the two wraps of heroin which were found in Knocknaheeny.
The child took them to her home and her family contacted Gardaí on Thursday.
Local councillor Thomas Gould said heroin use has become an epidemic across the city and said it is fortunate the child did not attempt to taste or swallow any of the substance contained within the bags.
He told The Echo: “How these bags got there we do not know, maybe they fell out of someone’s pocket. This is a nice area where people leave their children out to play with their friends and the community is in shock that something like this would happen.
“There are concerns that if one of the children had taken some of the substances in this bag, they could have died or caused major damage.
“I’m not surprised because there is an epidemic in heroin across the city at the moment. It’s not just in this area but everywhere. We have that issue of needles turning up in playgrounds, parks and estates.
“The community is in shock and this is a strong community. It’s terrible but a sign of the times, unfortunately.
“The main thing, thankfully, is that the child is OK,” Mr Gould added.
Dr Chris Luke, senior lecturer in public health at UCC, told Virgin Media news that intake of heroin could cause a child to become unconscious, have a seizure and possibly even have fatal consequences.
A spokesperson the Gardaí said: "Gardaí in Gurranabraher are investigating the find of a small amount of suspected heroin (Pending analysis) by a member of the public in the Knocknaheeney area on Thursday 8th August 2019.
"No arrests have been made and investigations are ongoing."