The UCC Tyndall Institute was evacuated this evening after an automatic fire alarm went off following a hydrogen leak in the building.
The evacuation took place this evening around 4.30pm and three units of the Cork City Fire Brigade attended the incident.
The Tyndall Institute is a centre of excellence in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Research.
The cause of the alarm turned out to be a hydrogen leak in the building and was quickly treated.
Hydrogen gas is used daily as a gas and liquid by many industries, including the petroleum industry and in manufacturing processes for producing chemicals, foods and electronics. The gas is colourless, odourless, tasteless and non-toxic.