Aldi and Lidl stop non-essential ‘middle aisle’ sales

Aldi and Lidl stop non-essential ‘middle aisle’ sales

The two grocery chains had resisted calls last week to block shelves selling children’s toys, clothes, homewares and other items.

Aldi and Lidl stopped the sale of “middle aisle” products deemed non-essential after the Government threatened a clampdown on retailers flouting Level 5 restrictions.

The two grocery chains had resisted calls last week to block shelves selling children’s toys, clothes, homewares and other items.

Business leaders warned smaller shops obeying the rules could reopen in a campaign of disobedience.

In response, Tánaiste and Minister for Business Leo Varadkar warned big supermarkets against “not lawful” practices. He said the Garda would enforce the regulations banning the sale of non-essential items.

Representatives of the major supermarkets held a conference call with Minister of State Damian English, who has responsibility for the retail sector, on Wednesday for further clarity over the Level 5 restrictions.

Following the meeting, Aldi issued a statement saying it was postponing the sale of all non-essential goods in its weekly “special buys and middle-aisle promotions” for the duration of the tightened restrictions.

“In line with Government guidance, we have decided to postpone all non-essential product Specialbuys promotions,” a spokesman said.

“One-off Specialbuys offers on essential products will continue to be placed on sale each Thursday and Sunday. Thank you for your co-operation and patience during these challenging times.” 

A spokeswoman for Lidl told The Irish Times that it “will not be putting on sale any items that are deemed non-essential – eg Christmas decorations, casual clothing and toys.”

“We are also in the process of removing from sale any residual stock of previous non-essential promotions,” she added.

more Coronavirus articles

Close-up of a hand holding a positive antigen test for COVID-19. 67 cases in Cork as highest national covid rates of 2025 recorded last week
Professor Anne Scott Covid appeal Ireland's Covid review is not public inquiry and 'not here to point fingers', chair says
Coronavirus - Mon Feb 28, 2022 CSO launches survey to assess impact of Covid-19 pandemic on public

More in this section

Former Suttons site on Cork's southside to make way for homes, cycle and bus lanes Former Suttons site on Cork's southside to make way for homes, cycle and bus lanes
Replica of Columbus' flagship is heading for Cork's harbour festival Replica of Columbus' flagship is heading for Cork's harbour festival
HSE says pressure on Cork University Hospital's ED is now 'year round' HSE says pressure on Cork University Hospital's ED is now 'year round'

Sponsored Content

 EirGrid, ensuring nature thrives in journey to cleaner energy future EirGrid, ensuring nature thrives in journey to cleaner energy future
The future is flexible for cleaner energy use in business The future is flexible for cleaner energy use in business
City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more