Kneecap ‘will not be silent’ over appeal against decision to end terror case

The rap trio said their legal team believes the appeal is ‘without any sound legal basis’.
Kneecap ‘will not be silent’ over appeal against decision to end terror case

By Ellie Crabbe, Press Association

Kneecap said they will “not be silent” ahead of a further legal challenge over a court’s decision to throw out the terrorism case against rapper Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh.

Ó hAnnaidh was accused of displaying a flag in support of proscribed terrorist organisation Hezbollah at a gig in November 2024, until a technical error in the way he was charged led to the chief magistrate ruling he could not try the case.

The rap trio said in a post on X on Thursday morning that the Government has issued them with a notice that it intends to appeal against the court’s decision.

Last year, the Crown Prosecution Service said it would be appealing against the decision because “we believe there is an important point of law which needs to be clarified”.

In the X post, Kneecap said: “The Brits are at it again…

As Israel today moves to ban charitable organisations providing lifesaving aid and primitive shelter to millions, the British state once again turns to vilify those who oppose genocide
Kneecap

“The British government has issued us notice that they will appeal the decision of their own magistrates court to throw out the case against Mo Chara (Ó hAnnaidh’s stage name).

“It is the view of our legal team that there is not an iota of logic for this, it is without any sound legal basis.

“It is another flailing arm to distract from, and to try and silence those who stand on the right side of history as they are complicit.

“As Israel today moves to ban charitable organisations providing lifesaving aid and primitive shelter to millions, the British state once again turns to vilify those who oppose genocide.

“It will be heard on Jan 14th at the High Court, Royal Courts of Justice, The Strand, London.

“We will not be silent. Free Palestine.”

The Home Office and the Ministry of Justice have been contacted for comment.

more Courts articles

Drunk-driver used abusive language to other person in custody, Cork court told Drunk-driver used abusive language to other person in custody, Cork court told
Closeup, scales and law on table, office and attorney man in blurred background with reading for crime analysis. Advocate, lawye No psychiatric bed for man arrested in Cork town who remains in custody
Cold case killer Noel Long launches bid to overturn conviction for murdering Cork woman Nora Sheehan 44 years ago Cold case killer Noel Long launches bid to overturn conviction for murdering Cork woman Nora Sheehan 44 years ago

More in this section

Man and woman die in Co Waterford collision Man and woman die in Co Waterford collision
Sinead Gorey brings Irish pub culture to London Fashion Week Sinead Gorey brings Irish pub culture to London Fashion Week
Israeli team playing in Ireland could spark ‘enormous’ protests – Boyd Barrett Israeli team playing in Ireland could spark ‘enormous’ protests – Boyd Barrett

Sponsored Content

Heads are turning for pharmacy investment property in the heart of buzzing Charleville Heads are turning for pharmacy investment property in the heart of buzzing Charleville
Charity places available for Cork City Marathon Charity places available for Cork City Marathon
Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026 Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more