Dispute over Liffey Swim resolved

Details of the settlement between Leinster Open Sea and Swim Ireland were not disclosed in open court, but Mr Justice Rory Mulcahy was told the historic event would go ahead this year.
Dispute over Liffey Swim resolved

A dispute between two organisations over the right to run the annual Dublin City Liffey Swim has been resolved, the High Court has heard.

Details of the settlement between Leinster Open Sea and Swim Ireland were not disclosed in open court, but Mr Justice Rory Mulcahy was told the historic event would go ahead this year.

Leinster Open Sea CLG, a volunteer sponsorship-funded body which organises about 30 sea races every year in partnership with local clubs, had brought proceedings against the Irish Amateur Swimming Association CLG, trading as the State-funded national governing body for swimming, Swim Ireland.

Leinster Open Sea had sought orders restraining Swim Ireland from holding both the Liffey Swim and the Dún Laoghaire Harbour Swim.

As a result of the dispute, two separate Liffey swims took place last year, and Dublin City Council, which grants permission for the event to go ahead, indicated that it did not want the same thing to happen this year, the court previously heard.

Both parties argued that they held the rights to operate the Liffey Swim, which has occurred annually since 1920, and the Dún Laoghaire Harbour Swim.

Last week, at the conclusion of a hearing into Leinster Open Sea’s application for a temporary injunction against Swim Ireland, Mr Justice Mulcahy urged the parties to settle their differences, warning that the event was at risk of not going ahead this year.

On Tuesday, Michael O’Doherty BL, for Leinster Open Sea, told the judge the parties had settled their difference on Monday night.

Mr O’Doherty said he spoke for both parties in thanking the judge for comments he made at last week’s hearing, stating that it focused the minds of both sides in coming to a resolution.

Counsel said the proceedings could be struck out with no further order.

Peter Bland SC, for Swim Ireland, said his side was consenting to the strikeout, and added that the swims would go ahead this year.

More in this section

What the papers say: Tuesday's front pages What the papers say: Tuesday's front pages
Families with working adult children living at home face rent increases Families with working adult children living at home face rent increases
Irish holidaymakers warned against going to Cuba Irish holidaymakers warned against going to Cuba

Sponsored Content

Charity places available for Cork City Marathon Charity places available for Cork City Marathon
Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026 Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026
Top tips to protect Ireland's plant health Top tips to protect Ireland's plant health
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more