Ricken completes fairytale weekend as Carrigtwohill shock Killeagh

Ricken completes fairytale weekend as Carrigtwohill shock Killeagh
Carrigtwohill's Sean Rohan gets away from Killeagh's Cian Fogarty to score a point. Picture: David Keane.

Carrigtwohill 1-11 Killeagh 1-9

WHAT a weekend it has been for Keith Ricken.

Following on from Saturday’s magnificent All-Ireland U20 football final victory over Dublin, he was back on home soil yesterday as coach helping Carrigtwohill get passed Killeagh in the second round of the Cork SHC at Midleton.

They pulled off a massive victory in this derby tie, especially after being totally overpowered by St Finbarr’s in the opening round by 3-23 to 0-8. It was their tenacious display after the break that saw them clinch the win.

The first half was played in driving wind and rain — Killeagh started out with the elements to their back. They got off to a great start when Andrew Leahy had the sliotar in the net inside two minutes. By the end of the first quarter, they stretched that lead to 1-3 to 0-2.

Carrigtwohill's Jamie McCarthy loses possession under pressure from Killeagh's Allen Keniry. Picture: David Keane.
Carrigtwohill's Jamie McCarthy loses possession under pressure from Killeagh's Allen Keniry. Picture: David Keane.

The conditions were tricky, the highlight of the opening period was two lengthy sideline cuts that split the posts from wing-back Ryan McCarthy. Carrigtwohill were staying in touch through Liam Gosnell and Sean Rohan.

Killeagh upped their display before the break. A brace from Kieran Lane and a pair of McCarthy frees, left the half-time score 1-8 to 0-4 in their favour.

The sun shone for the second half, and it was this 30 minutes plus, that defined the outcome. Tomás Hogan setting the tone popping over a point from play upon the restart. They shot 1-3 without reply. The goal brilliantly blasted from the penalty spot by goalkeeper Shane Devlin after Hogan was fouled.

By the midway stage, the gap was reduced to one point, 1-7 to 1-8. Killeagh getting their only score of the second half 10 minutes from time courtesy of Matthew Murphy.

Carrigtwohill’s work-rate was admirable, especially in defence where they repelled Killeagh time and time again. They finished out with a blast of scores, two of these from free-taker Gosnell to tie the match, 1-9 apiece with just five minutes remaining.

Killeagh, who were missing one of their key players in Gary Leahy who was on holidays, tried to get back into the contest. They couldn’t find the target, testament to Carrigtwohill’s great defending.

When Gosnell struck his sixth point, Carrigtwohill edged one ahead. Rohan then put a bit more distance between the sides, meaning Killeagh were forced to go for goal but they were never able to hit the net leaving Carrigtwohill to take the spoils.

Scorers for Carrigtwohill: L Gosnell (0-6, 0-5 frees), S Devlin (1-0 pen), S Rohan (0-2), P Hogan (free), T Hogan and J Mulcahy (0-1 each).

Killeagh: R McCarthy (0-5, 0-3 frees, 0-2 sl), A Leahy (1-0), M Murphy and K Lane (0-2 each).

CARRIGTWOHILL: S Devlin; P Sullivan, R Power, P Barden; C O’Connell, P Hogan, A Walsh Barry; J Horgan, B Twomey; S Roche (c), T Hogan, J McCarthy; L Gosnell, S Rohan, J Mulcahy.

Sub: D Crotty for J McCarthy (60).

KILLEAGH: C Walsh; A Keniry, K Murphy, S Long (jc); R McCarthy, C Fogarty, K Treacy (jc); D Hogan, M Murphy; K Lane, P O’Brien, S Smiddy; A Leahy, D Walsh, E Keniry.

Subs: B Collins for K Lane (33 inj), S Walsh for E Keniry (37), D Ogbebor for P O’Brien (54).

Referee: Diarmuid Kirwan (Éire Óg).

More in this section

Sponsored Content