Late goal sealed the deal for Carrigaline in narrow win over Bishopstown

Late goal sealed the deal for Carrigaline in narrow win over Bishopstown
Carrigaline's Brian Kelleher scores the winning goal past Bishopstown's Cian Duggan and Sean O'Rourke. Picture: Eddie O'Hare

Carrigaline 2-9 Bishopstown 1-9

IT took a goal in the final minute to separate these two sides in their SFC second-round clash at Páirc Uí Rinn yesterday afternoon.

A sweeping move ended with Brian Kelleher finding the back of the net for Carrigaline to see them advance to a meeting with Duhallow next week.

To be fair to the winners they deserved to come out on top and were the better side for long periods of the game. They had a number of quality performances, with Kevin Kavanagh doing well at midfield as well as Steve Dwane at centre-back.

But the pick of their side was their Cork U20 player, Jack McCarthy, who showed just why he is an inter-county player. He was outstanding from start to finish and rowed in with 1-2 of their tally.

Had their been a man of the match award it would have been difficult to look beyond him on this occasion.

Chances and scores were few and far between early on, with Bishopstown eventually getting off the mark, 10 minutes in.

Before that, Kieran Kavanagh for Carrigaline and Eoghan Deasy, Bishopstown, both had missed relatively easy scoring chances.

A long ball in was caught superbly by Paul O’Flynn and he turned to score to get the Town off the mark, with Brian Kelleher replying a minute later for Carrigaline.

The Town looked like scoring a goal, when Deasy played Niall Quirke in after he burst forward from full-back, but he was fouled and from the resulting free Brian Clifford pointed.

With 16 minutes gone Carrigaline were back on level terms, when Kieran Kavanagh pointed, after some good work by McCarthy and Billy Pope.

Half-back, McCarthy, then hit two in-a-row to put his side 0-4 to 0-2 up, with 19 minutes gone.

With 25 minutes gone they got the opening goal of the game, with a move that started in their own square. Cathal Murphy picked up the ball from a Bishopstown free and they worked it up the pitch before McCarthy added to his tally when he palmed to the back of the net.

Shane Lordan pulled a point back for the Town and Kieran Kavanagh scored a great pointed from a long-distance free to keep five points between the sides.

But the Town finished the half strongly, with Clifford and Pa Cronin both scoring from frees as they trailed by 0-5 to 1-5 at half-time.

Killian McIntyre increased their lead at the start of the second half before points from Darragh O’Connor and Clifford put two between them.

Carrigaline responded with points from Kelleher and Billy Pope, as they led 1-8 to 0-7 with 40 minutes gone.

Clifford and Mark Brosnan exchanged points from frees before Bishopstown found themselves back in contention.

Clifford drove at the heart of the Carrigaline defence and his shot was foot-blocked by Kieran Kavanagh and referee Dave Murnane right awarded them a penalty.

Clifford coolly slotted home to put only a point between the sides, 1-8 to 1-9, with eight minutes to go. Both sides missed chances to score before a great point from Michael Power levelled it, with two minutes left.

But when it looked like going to extra-time Pope and McIntyre combined to see up Kelleher for the winning goal as Carrigaline advance and the Town bow out of the championship.

Scorers for Carrigaline: J McCarthy, B Kelleher 1-2 each, Kieran Kavanagh 0-2 (0-1 f), K McIntyre, B Pope, M Brosnan (f) 0-1 each.

Bishopstown: B Clifford 1-4 (1-0 pen, 0-4 f), P Cronin (f), P O’Flynn, S Lordan, M Power, D O’Connor 0-1 each.

CARRIGALINE: S Mellet; C Murphy, N Quirke, T Deasy; L Boyle, S Dwane, J McCarthy; Kevin Kavanagh, D Greene; B Pope, K McIntyre, B Ryan; B Kelleher, Kieran Kavanagh, M Brosnan.

Subs: E Kavanagh for D Greene (38), C Barry for L Boyle (39), K Dwane for M Brosnan (60).

BISHOPSTOWN: C Duggan; S O’Rourke, E Byrne, N O’Donovan; E Deasy, M Power, D Quaid; J O’Sullivan, S Lordan; D Costelloe, P O’Flynn, P Cronin; D O’Connor, J Costello, B Clifford.

Subs: S Oakes for S Lordan (43), R McMahon for J Costello, J Murphy for P O’Flynn (both 53), C O’Driscoll for D O’Connor (56, BC).

Referee: David Murnane, Macroom.

More in this section

Sponsored Content