Ballygarvan defeat Carbery Rangers and the conditions to land U16 football crown

Ballygarvan defeat Carbery Rangers and the conditions to land U16 football crown
Sean Brady, Ballygarvan, battles Andrew Kevan, Carbery Rangers. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

Ballygarvan 2-11 Carbery Rangers 2-8

A BETTER-BALANCED Ballygarvan side got the better of Carbery Rangers in this very exciting final in the Carrigaline Court Hotel 16 Premier 2 Football Championship, played in very wet conditions in Cloughduv.

Goals from Conor Fitzgerald and Micheál O’Mahony helped wind assisted Ballygarvan to a 2-9 to 2-4 half-time lead, and they defended manfully in a second half, which included eight minutes of additional time, as Carbery Rangers attacked right to the final whistle.

Key to the win was the performance of captain and midfielder Seán Brady, who was immense throughout the game, but it would be unfair to just single out one players in an excellent team performance.

For Carbery Rangers, it was a disappointing night. They were very reliant on the excellent Ciaran Santry, who was practically unmarkable, and kicked 2-6, while Michael Maguire and Conor Twomey played well, but Ballygarvan had more aces all over the field.

Despite the conditions, the first half was a rip-roaring affair in which the teams were level on four occasions. Fitzgerald put Ballygarvan ahead in the 2nd minute, but they were rocked a minute later when Santry goaled after good work from Maguire.

Ballygarvan had points from Brady, Fitzgerald, Niall Dowd, Evan O’Connor and Adam Noonan, with Santry (2) and Twomey replying for Carbery as the sides were level after 17 minutes. Brady and Santry swapped points before Fitzgerald kicked two frees in a row, and then in the 25th minute hit a high delivery, which slipped out of the Carbery goalkeeper’s hands to cross the line to put Ballygarvan five points ahead.

Carbery Rangers went straight down the field and Santry grabbed his second goal, when he finished to the net after Twomey’s effort had been stopped, but the drama wasn’t finished, as Carbery failed to clear an Evan O’Connor high delivery into their goalmouth, and O’Mahony was on hand to finish to the net.

The second half was more of an attritional affair. Santry (2) reduced the deficit for Carbery, but points from O’Mahony and Rian O’Donoghue had Ballygarvan 2-11 to 2-6 ahead after 49 minutes.

Carbery Rangers dominated the closing quarter of the match, but Ballygarvan stood firm, and despite late points from Santry and Peadar O’Rourke, Ballygarvan claimed their first football championship title in the Premier Grade.

Jerry Walsh presents the cup to Sean Brady. Picture: Jim Coughlan.
Jerry Walsh presents the cup to Sean Brady. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

Scorers for Ballygarvan: C Fitzgerald 1-4 (0-2 f), M O’Mahony 1-1, S Brady 0-2 (0-1 45), N Dowd, E O’Connor, A Noonan, R O’Donoghue 0-1 each.

Carbery Rangers: C Santry 2-6 (0-5 f), C Twomey, P O’Rourke 0-1 each.

BALLYGARVAN: E McCarthy; C Mackey, K Lyons, S O’Donovan; D Roche, C Sheehy, E Davidson; S Brady, K Murphy; N Dowd, R O’Donoghue, M O’Mahony; E O’Connor, C Fitzgerald, A Noonan.

Subs: O McCarthy for A Noonan (59), D Mackey for C Fitzgerald (59).

CARBERY RANGERS: D Twomey; C Eady, D O’Dwyer, P Daly; S Linehan, J Kevane, N Keane; M Maguire, S O’Mahony; P O’Rourke, C Twomey, C Santry; D Calnan, E Hodnett, A Kevane.

Subs: R Hayes for A Kevane (46), Ryan Hayes for S Linehan (BC 66).

Referee: Kevin Bohane (Ballincollig).

More in this section

Sponsored Content