Cork hurling: Erins Own rally back from six points down to defeat Bishopstown

Cork hurling: Erins Own rally back from six points down to defeat Bishopstown

Eoin Byrne and Shane O'Neill, Bishopstown, Robbie O'Flynn, Erins Own, in the PSHC clash at Páirc Uí Rinn on Saturday. Picture: Jim Coughlan.

Erins Own 1-16 Bishopstown 1-14

ERINS OWN got their Co-Op Superstores Cork Premier SHC campaign back on track after their win at Páirc Uí Rinn on Saturday.

Having lost to Blackrock in their first outing a loss this time out would effectively end their campaign. A superb second-half secured their win as they restricted the Town to three points, whilst scoring 11 themselves.

But the Town must still be wondering what went wrong as for the second week in a row they squandered a good lead to lose. This time they were six points clear at half-time and in their first outing they were eight points clear and ended up losing both.

Robbie O'Flynn opened the scoring for Erins Own just 20 seconds in, with Eoghan Murphy doubling their lead from a free a minute later.

Pat Cronin got the Town off the mark from a free, with Murphy replying, to make it 0-3 to 0-1, with eight minutes gone.

Two minutes later and the Town were in front when a free from Cronin from about 75 metres out fooled everyone and went straight to the back of the net.

Conor Hegarty added a point from the restart and Cronin was on target again from a free, to make it 1-3 to 0-3.

Diarmuid Lester increased their lead, with Thomas Murray getting in on the scoring act as the Town took over.

Cronin hit two more frees, to make it 1-7 to 0-3 with 23 minutes on the clock.

Two more from Murray increased their lead, before Murphy got Erins Own fourth, from another free with 26 minutes gone.

A minute later and they were back in contention when Ronan Twomey goaled to put five between the sides.

Cronin was unlucky not to get a second goal with Shay Bowen coming off his line to smother his effort, with the former pointing from the resulting 65.

Steven Horgan pointed for Erins Own, with James Scally getting the last score of the half for the Town to see them lead 1-11 to 1-5 at half-time.

Two minutes into the second-half and Erins Own were unlucky not to get their second goal when Ken O'Halloran saved superbly from Twomey, with Murphy pointing the 65.

James O'Carroll put four between the sides, with Twomey on target to make it 1-8 to 1-11, with 39 minutes played.

Murphy pointed from another free and he scored again from a 65, after another quality O'Halloran save, to put only one between them, with 43 minutes played.

Brian Murray and Hegarty put the Town three up again just before the water break. But from the resumption to the final whistle Erins Own took over.

Murphy, Cathal Lenihan and Alan Bowen pointed to level it, with Bowen on target again to put them in front.

Lenihan scored from distance to make it 1-15 to 1-13, before Thomas Murray put a point between them again.

Deep in injury time Twomey got the last score to secure the win for his side as they make up for their loss to Blackrock in the opening round.

Barry Murphy, Bishopstown, battles Mossie Carroll, Erins Own.Picture: Jim Coughlan.
Barry Murphy, Bishopstown, battles Mossie Carroll, Erins Own.Picture: Jim Coughlan.

Scorers for Erins Own: R Twomey 1-2, E Murphy 0-7 (0-5 f, 0-2 65), C Lenihan, A Bowen 0-2 each, R O'Flynn, S Horgan, J O'Carroll 0-1 each.

Bishopstown: P Cronin 1-5 (0-3 f, 0-1 65), T Murray 0-4, C Hegarty 0-2, D Lester, B Murray, J Scally 0-1 each.

ERINS OWN: S Bowen; C O’Connor, C Dooley, S Murphy; D Twomey, J O’Flynn, S Cronin; S Kelly, J O'Carroll; R O'Flynn, S Guilfoyle, K Murphy; E Murphy, M O’Carroll, R Twomey.

Subs: C Lenihan for S Guilfole (26), S Horgan for S Kelly (27); A Bowen for J O'Carroll (47), C O'Callaghan for E Murphy (55), C O'Mahony for S Cronin (58).

BISHOPSTOWN: K O’Halloran; S Murphy, B Murphy, E Byrne; S O’Neill, J O’Sullivan, D Lester; T Murray, B Murray; J Scally, P Cronin, S Lordan; C O’Driscoll, M Driscoll, C Hegarty.

Subs: C O'Hora for C O'Driscoll (52), M Power for S Lordan (58).

Referee: Mark Maher, St Finbarr's.

More in this section

Sponsored Content