Email submissions on demolition of old Cork Prison to be accepted

While the closing date of tomorrow remains in place, email submissions on the plans will now be accepted by the Irish Prison Service.
Email submissions on demolition of old Cork Prison to be accepted

Exterior wall of the 'old' Cork Prison, now disused at Rathmore Road. 

Submissions on the proposed demolition of the old Cork Prison site will now be accepted digitally amid concerns of postal delays ahead of the consultation closing date tomorrow.

The Irish Prison Service (IPS), on behalf of the justice minister, gave notice last month of its intention to carry out demolition works at the old prison site in The Glen.

While the plans only cover the demolition of the old jail building, Justice Minister Jim O’Callaghan last year announced plans for “a large extension” to the current facility, to accommodate 330 inmates.

Mr O’Callaghan said recently that he hopes the facility will be built in the latter half of this decade.

The IPS and government have been accused by public representatives and community group Stop Cork Prison Expansion of “project splitting”, because the plans cover only demolition and do not mention the future plans for a new prison building which have drawn huge criticism from locals.

Criticism has also been levelled at the opportunities for public engagement with the plans, which are available for inspection by appointment only at the IPS headquarters in Longford or Mayfield Garda station.

Submissions had to be received in the post by tomorrow, June 3, but the IPS has now agreed to accept submissions by email also at ipsestatesbc@irishprisons.ie.

Sinn Féin TD for Cork North Central, Thomas Gould, told The Echo: “I had serious concerns that people’s voice would not be heard on the Old Cork Prison plans.” 

He said that after delays in the postal service leading to his own submissions arriving later than expected, he raised the issue in the Dáil and with the IPS looking for an extension of submissions to be accepted digitally.

While the closing date of tomorrow remains in place, emails will be accepted, once they contain the full name and address of the person lodging the submission, similar to a postal submission, and the subject line reads “Cork Prison Site”.

Mr Gould said that people who have sent an objection already should also provide it by email to be sure it arrives and he encouraged anyone who has not made a submission but is opposed to the demolition of the site to send an email today or tomorrow.

More in this section

Relative holding trembling hand of senior woman with Parkinson's disease lying in hospital bed at medical ward. Diagnosis and tr Elderly in nursing homes awaiting transfer to facilities closer to family
No eye injuries in Cork following solar eclipse No eye injuries in Cork following solar eclipse
New Christmas event for Cork city intended to become 'long-term' tradition for Leeside families  New Christmas event for Cork city intended to become 'long-term' tradition for Leeside families 

Sponsored Content

Transform your career, your way: choose MTU part-time education Transform your career, your way: choose MTU part-time education
Keeping their house in order: How PSRA regulation has raised the bar for Ireland’s property services sector Keeping their house in order: How PSRA regulation has raised the bar for Ireland’s property services sector
"My master's at UL taught me that structured learning and a demanding career can coexist" "My master's at UL taught me that structured learning and a demanding career can coexist"
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more