Cork man remanded in custody accused of murdering Ukrainian father of one
Jonathan Hennessy appeared at Cork District Court by video link from prison on Monday. File picture: Larry Cummins
The 42-year-old man accused of murdering a Ukrainian father of one in Cork city in March has been remanded in custody for four weeks.
Jonathan Hennessy appeared at Cork District Court by video link from prison on Monday, regarding a case in which Oleksandr Zhyvytskyi lost his life following a violent incident near his home on March 16.
Sergeant John Dineen said there were no DPP directions in the case yet.
Judge John King remanded the accused man in custody until June 3.
Eddie Burke, defending, said there was consent from the defence to an adjournment longer than two weeks until June 3.
Jonathan Hennessy, of 15 Dr Patrick O’Sullivan Terrace, Upper Aghada, Co Cork, was charged by Detective Garda Kevin Motherway with a single count stating: “On March 16 2023 at Knapp’s Square, Cork City in the district court area of Cork city in District area 19, he did murder one Oleksandr Zhyvytskyi, contrary to common law.”
Sgt Dineen previously said it was alleged that at 7.50pm on March 16 at Knapp’s Square, the deceased sustained a stab wound to his chest during an altercation.
He made his way home and subsequently died, death being formally pronounced at 8.35pm on Monday.
It was reported that the father of one, who was in his early 30s, was stabbed just metres from his home at Camden Court apartments on Carroll’s Quay, Cork, when he went out to buy food nearby.
He made it back to his apartment where his partner called for help.
Despite paramedics working to save his life, he was later pronounced dead at the scene.
An investigation was launched immediately after the fatal stabbing.

App?

