Arson carried out as part of Traveller feud, Cork court hears

Three men charged with arson of house and burning out car on same date last week
Arson carried out as part of Traveller feud, Cork court hears

The three accused appeared at Cork District Court on Monday. File picture:: Larry Cummins

A petrol bomb was thrown at a house in Killarney where a mother and daughter were sleeping — the alleged arson was carried out as part of a feud between Traveller families in Kerry and Limerick.

This was the allegation made at Cork District Court on Monday as three men were charged with arson of the house after 5am on Wednesday, May 13, at Pinewood Estate, Killarney, and burning out the Nissan Qashqai in Ballinalouth, Tralee, after 6am on the same date. It was alleged that the burnt-out car was used to get them to and from the Killarney petrol-bombing.

Detective Garda Tim Walsh of Listowel Garda Station said: “There were two people — a mother and her 20-year-old daughter asleep — in the house at Pinewood Estate when it was petrol-bombed on May 13, 2026. 

"This is a terraced house with adjoining homes on either side and this incident could have had catastrophic and even fatal consequences.” 

Three men appeared at Cork District Court on Monday: Keith Horan, aged 38, of no fixed address; Shane Nolan, aged 28, of no fixed address; and David Walsh, aged 31, of Cois Coille, Tralee, Co Kerry.

Shane Nolan, who was arrested and charged by Detective Garda James Daly, and David Walsh, who was arrested and charged by Detective Garda Clare Dennehy, did not apply for bail and were remanded in custody to Tralee District Court on Wednesday, May 20.

Keith Horan did apply for bail but Det Garda Tim Walsh objected. Judge John King remanded him in custody until Tralee District Court on May 20.

Det Garda Walsh said: “The incident before the court today is linked to a wider feud between to Traveller families based in Kerry and Limerick. 

"There have been a large number of incidents committed by both sides and the frequency and the violence associated with these incidents has escalated dramatically over the last number of weeks."

He said the evidence in this case was strong, including detailed injured party statements made to the gardaí, the recovery of the burnt-out car in Tralee, and high-quality CCTV footage with audio which was obtained from Pinewood Estate where the alleged incident occurred. 

CCTV footage has also been obtained of parties to the case moving around the relevant areas before and after the arson of the house.

During the objection to bail for Shane Nolan, the detective said, “There are serious concerns for the life and personal safety of persons associated to the families involved in this ongoing feud and to the community at large.”

More in this section

Cork man remanded in custody accused of murdering Ukrainian father of one Cork man remanded in custody accused of murdering Ukrainian father of one
Electric Picnic festival Kneecap coming to Cork's Live at the Marquee on July 6
Cork's MTU secures €4m for research into food sustainability and health Cork's MTU secures €4m for research into food sustainability and health

Sponsored Content

City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out 55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more