No psychiatric bed for man arrested in Cork town who remains in custody

Judge Helen Boyle said remanding Patrick Sibanyoni in custody was not satisfactory, but that she had no option but to do so again.
No psychiatric bed for man arrested in Cork town who remains in custody

The defendant was arrested in Mallow last May and charged with 24 counts of causing criminal damage to cars and premises in the town, where it was alleged that he was involved in these alleged activities while naked.

Further attempts are to be made to find a suitable location for psychiatric treatment for a 58-year-old man who has spent the last eight months remanded in jail, in the absence of a place at the Central Mental Hospital.

A witness from the hospital appeared by video link at Cork Circuit Criminal Court yesterday to say that they did not have a place for Patrick Sibanyoni, of Dundanion Lodge, Blackrock, Cork.

Dr Brenda Wright told Cork Circuit Criminal Court that the reason that the hospital was unable to accept Patrick Sibanyoni (58) was due to the fact that all 100 male beds and 11 female beds at the hospital were full.

She told Judge Helen Boyle that in addition to being at full capacity, the hospital had a waiting list of another 38 people waiting admission including eight in homicide cases who were deemed not fit to plead due to their mental condition.

However, the case was further adjourned until today to see if a suitable location for his treatment could be found.

Judge Helen Boyle said, after hearing the evidence: “I accept what you are saying: There simply are not enough beds to accommodate all the persons in the State who need them.

“We are trying to come to a solution here.”

The judge said that remanding the man in custody was not satisfactory, but that she had no option but to do so again, until today (February 17).

“The reality is that if this man does not get treatment, he will never be fit to plead,” she said.

“I will remand him in custody until tomorrow [February 17]. Hopefully, we will have an update then.”

The defendant was arrested in Mallow last May and charged with 24 counts of causing criminal damage to cars and premises in the town, where it was alleged that he was involved in these alleged activities while naked.

Judge Boyle said that the accused was clearly unwell, and his condition had been deteriorating while in prison over the past eight months.

“I am not a psychiatrist, but I have a report that says he is in urgent need of medical attention,” she said.

Mr Sibanyoni came to the attention of the public and of gardaí in Mallow on May 19, 2025, when, it is alleged, he was seen smashing cars and the windows and doors of numerous premises while he was walking through the streets naked.

more Courts articles

Cold case killer Noel Long launches bid to overturn conviction for murdering Cork woman Nora Sheehan 44 years ago Cold case killer Noel Long launches bid to overturn conviction for murdering Cork woman Nora Sheehan 44 years ago
Gavel, scales of justice and law books Sentencing put back to March in Cork burglary case 
Witnesses in Gerry Adams trial should not be anonymous, court told Witnesses in Gerry Adams trial should not be anonymous, court told

More in this section

Cold case killer Noel Long launches bid to overturn conviction for murdering Cork woman Nora Sheehan 44 years ago Cold case killer Noel Long launches bid to overturn conviction for murdering Cork woman Nora Sheehan 44 years ago
More rain on the way as Met Éireann issues fresh status yellow warning for Cork More rain on the way as Met Éireann issues fresh status yellow warning for Cork
Uisce Éireann to begin work on new water plant for North Cork Uisce Éireann to begin work on new water plant for North Cork

Sponsored Content

Charity places available for Cork City Marathon Charity places available for Cork City Marathon
Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026 Turning risk into reward: Top business risks in 2026
Top tips to protect Ireland's plant health Top tips to protect Ireland's plant health
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more