Lord Mayor opens book of condolences in memory of Alf McCarthy

The veteran RTÉ broadcaster and producer passed away earlier this month following a brief illness.
Lord Mayor opens book of condolences in memory of Alf McCarthy

Naomi Daly, interim programme director of The Everyman, pictured with the Lord Mayor of Cork, Councillor Kieran McCarthy, and Saidhbh O'Donovan, Alf McCarthy's Granddaughter, at the opening of the book of condolences for the veteran broadcaster. Picture: Shane O’Sullivan, Cork City Council.

The Lord Mayor of Cork, Councillor Kieran McCarthy, has opened a book of condolences in memory of veteran RTÉ broadcaster and producer Alf McCarthy, who passed away earlier this month following a brief illness.

The book will be available to members of the public to sign at The Everyman Theatre from 12 pm to 7 pm daily, for a period of two weeks.

The Lord Mayor said Alf McCarthy’s passing had been a very sad occasion for Cork, especially for those who listened to him on radio over many decades, as well as those who saw him performing on stages across the country.

“An individual with much creative genius, Alf was a storyteller with a great skillset to engage his listeners, audiences, and all those who met him in recent years MC-ing community based down memory lane projects,” Councillor McCarthy said.

“At his heart, he was a proud, wise, witty, and creative Corkman, who has left a huge legacy and a name that will be fondly remembered for years to come in his native city.” Naomi Daly, interim programme director of The Everyman, said Mr McCarthy would be missed by his many friends in the theatre.

“Alf had a long history of performing here at The Everyman, most recently as a cherished member of The Sunday Songbook team, he filled this role with his trademark charm and humour and he will be sorely missed by friends, colleagues and audiences,” Ms Daly said.

More in this section

Case of North Cork woman (87) on charge of careless driving causing death is adjourned to June Case of North Cork woman (87) on charge of careless driving causing death is adjourned to June
Overnight water supply disruption warning for parts of Cork city’s northside Overnight water supply disruption warning for parts of Cork city’s northside
Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim it is moving operations to US Drone delivery firm piloting Cork service refutes online claim it is moving operations to US

Sponsored Content

City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out 55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more