CONSERVATION and preservation work costing €38,000 to the Berwick Fountain on Grand Parade has been completed.
Comprehensive cleaning, treating and renovating of all stonework, overseen by the Cork City Council Architects Department, took place over an eight-week period.
The fountain, which dates to 1860, was erected by Walter Berwick, an important figure in the Cork judiciary, as a token of his gratitude to the city’s people. The fountain was designed by Sir John Benson, who also designed the fountain in the English Market.
New LED lighting was also installed and the fountain will be lit in a warm white colour which will highlight its classic features.
The colours can also be changed individually on each lamp as occasion demands.
The conservation works follow on from renovation works to the National Monument and to the Fr Mathew Statue in recent years. In addition, extensive conservation and lighting works are also underway on St Patrick’s Bridge.
The Berwick Fountain upgrade works, totalling €38,000, will be funded from the City Centre Fund.
The Berwick Fountain illumination will add to the necklace of historic buildings and features which have been lit up recently, for example the former Model School building on Anglesea Street has been illuminated by the OPW as part of the Court Services Building redevelopment and 97 South Mall (former TCH building) has recently been illuminated by JCD.