Coronavirus fears force Cork school to cancel ski trip to Italy 

Coronavirus fears force Cork school to cancel ski trip to Italy 
A visitor wearing a surgical mask arrives in Dublin Airport 

A secondary school in Cork has decided to cancel a school trip to Italy over fears someone could catch the coronavirus.

Coláiste an Spioraid Naoimh, Bishopstown, had planned to go on a ski trip today but a late decision was taken to cancel the plans amid ongoing concerns about the virus. 

In a statement on social media, the school said: "The Board of Management had decided that its duty of care to the school community impels it to cancel the proposed ski-trip to Italy.

"It also has regard to the welfare of the local community. The Board very much regrets the taking of this decision has become necessary. It feels that, in this particular circumstance, the potentially serious consequences of proceeding with the trip far outweigh and possible educational or recreational benefit."

Meanwhile, on an international scale, efforts to stop the spread of the virus continue. 

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has not ruled out postponing international matches.

Minister for Health, Simon Harris at the Coronavirus/COVID-19 advice stand 
Minister for Health, Simon Harris at the Coronavirus/COVID-19 advice stand 

Speaking in Belfast ahead of Saturday's annual general meeting of the International Football Association Board, Infantino said FIFA would do whatever was necessary.

This weekend's matches in the top two divisions in Switzerland were postponed on Friday after the government banned all events involving more than 1,000 people, while in Italy five Serie A games will be played behind closed doors. The leagues in Japan and Korea were postponed earlier this week.

Infantino said: "The health of persons is much more important than any football game.

"That's why we have to look at the situation and hope that it will decrease rather than increase. At the moment it looks like it is still increasing. If games have to be postponed or played without spectators until it is over, then we have to go through that."

Meanwhile, anybody in close contact with Northern Ireland's first Covid-19 patient has been contacted, health authorities north and south of the border said.

The woman travelled through Dublin Airport on her way home after flying with Aer Lingus from northern Italy with a child.

She was tested at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast but is being treated in isolation at home.

The health authorities would not confirm reports the woman had taken the train from Dublin to Belfast, citing patient confidentiality.

More in this section

Sponsored Content