BREAKING: Bon Secours Cork confirms case of coronavirus; Two cases of 'community transmission' nationwide

BREAKING: Bon Secours Cork confirms case of coronavirus; Two cases of 'community transmission' nationwide

Cork's Bon Secours Hospital has confirmed the case of Covid-19 in a male patient who is understood to have an underlying health condition.

The latest diagnosis is another case of 'community transmission', meaning the virus is spreading from person to person within Ireland. A second case of community transmission, a woman in the east of Ireland, was also confirmed today.

In a statement, Bon Secours hospital management said: "The patient is being cared for in a single room and contact precautions have been in place since the patient’s arrival. To protect patient privacy, we will make no further comment on the case.

"Coronavirus response teams have been in place at the Bon Secours health system for some time, with working groups at each facility and at group level. 

"Bon Secours health system is working closely too with the HSE and Public Health colleagues. Guidance on protocols to minimise risk to patients and staff are being shared on an ongoing basis."

The statement added: "Visitor restrictions are in place at all Bon Secours Health System facilities since Friday and are detailed on our website: one visitor per patient, no children, no visitors with symptoms of flu. 

"Elective surgeries will continue as normal in Cork except in a very small number of cases and those patients are being contacted. 

An aerial view of the Bon Secours Hospital.
An aerial view of the Bon Secours Hospital.

"Out-patient appointments continue as normal in Cork including for radiation and oncology. At present all our other hospitals continue to operate as normal too. 

"Bon Secours Health System is taking all appropriate measures and our management, staff and consultants continue, as always, to rise to the challenge to look after their patients. 

"Bon Secours Health System pays tribute to our colleagues for their unstinting work and commitment to provide advanced medicine and exceptional care at all times."

Earlier, HSE chief executive Paul Reid told RTÉ that some of the almost 100 staff at Cork University Hospital told to self-isolate last week after confirmation of a case of coronavirus in CUH will be returning to work.

Mr Reid said the staff who return would not be symptomatic and would be regularly tested and assessed.

He said the staff would need to return as there was a necessity to balance containment measures and the need to keep the health system functioning at a time when more confirmed cases are expected.

The latest case would bring to 20 the national total of confirmed cases of the virus here.

Meanwhile, the HSE has said it cannot dispute projections that 1.9 million people in the Republic of Ireland may fall ill with coronavirus.

A report in the Business Post says half of those people are expected to contract the virus over a three-week concentration burst.

However, the Health Service Executive also said that the modelling scenario has not been completed yet.

They pointed out that trends in Italy indicate large numbers of cases are possible.


More in this section

Sponsored Content