This is a delicious banana cake that has been easily adapted to suit a vegan diet. It keeps well for two to three days or you can freeze sections of it if necessary. The salted caramel icing complements the banana and pecan flavours beautifully.
235g cream flour
100g caster sugar
100 gr soft light brown sugar
1 tsp. bread soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
400gr mashed ripe banana
2 flax eggs (each made with 1 tbsp. of milled flax seed added to 3 tbsp. of water)
115ml sunflower oil
100g broken toasted pecans
A few extra whole toasted pecans for decoration.
2 tsp. vanilla essence
- Pre heat the oven to 175 C
- Grease the base and sides of an 8-inch square tin loaf tin and line the base parchment paper.
- Place the flour, sugars, bread soda, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl.
- Sift or whisk and ensure there are no lumps.
- Mix together the mashed bananas, flax eggs, oil and essence.
- Add the flour to the banana mixture and mix well, finally fold in the pecans.
- Scrape into the prepared tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes until cooked through.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Allow the cake to cool fully before covering with salted caramel icing.
- Prepare your own caramel in advance so it has cooled to room temperature. Or you could use a prepared caramel sauce.
50gr caster sugar
50ml water (hot)
Pinch sea salt
- Cooking the sugar to caramel be very careful, as caramel burns are very serious.
- Cook the sugar dry over medium heat until it first dissolves then cooks the caramel, dot stir but by all means swirl the pan to help the sugar cook evenly.
- When the sugar begins to caramelize swirl the pan gently to disperse the heat.
- When you tilt the pan the liquid should be a rich caramel colour, be brave enough to cook it to quiet a deep colour, (if you smell burn you need to start again), once your caramel is cooked remove from the heat.
- Carefully add the warmed water and cook for a minute or two more stirring well to remove any lumps.
- Allow to cool completely to room temperature.
- Add the sea salt.
20g sunflower spread (vegan)
150g icing sugar
30 to 40 gr salted caramel (pre cooked and cooled)
- Beat the sunflower spread and icing sugar together until soft.
- Slowly add the caramel to taste beating well,
- Spread the icing over the cake, and then decorate with toasted pecans.
If you would like to contact Mercy email firstname.lastname@example.org