To save yourself an unnecessary trip to the shops, now might be the time to start making your own brown bread and if you have the time, showing junior members of the family how easy it is to make.. with a simple recipe like this you cant go wrong.
This recipe is extra nutty as I have used seeds instead of pinhead oatmeal and ground flax seed instead of wheat germ, this was because I didn’t have everything in the cupboard that I needed — but a little creative thinking and all was sorted. The result is a moist delicious and wholesome brown loaf. It may seem slightly green, this is a result of the bread soda reacting with sunflower seeds. Enjoy.
225gr brown flour
45gr cream flour
16gr wheat bran (or Weetabix)
53gr ground sunflower & pumpkin seeds.
30gr porridge oats
30gr ground flax seed
3 level tsp bread soda
1½ tsp salt
15gr dark brown sugar
Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds for the top.
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin with butter and line the base with parchment paper.
- Weigh all the dry ingredients and butter into a bowl.
- With the tips of your fingers rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumb — no butter lumps.
- Now pour all the buttermilk in in one go.
- Stir until combined — no kneading and don’t over-mix.
- The mix will be quite moist, scrape into a prepared tin, level the top and sprinkle with seeds.
- Place in centre or top of oven.
- Cook for 50-60 minutes, until a skewer
- inserted in the centre comes out clean.