DURING our Covid-19 lockdown, many people rediscovered a love of cooking that had been neglected due to time constraints. With nothing else to do, cooks returned to their kitchens to make family mealtimes more than just about eating. Meal planning became a focus of the day, a way to spend time together preparing and enjoying good food, when the safest place was inside your own home. I know people who found a love of baking and bread making, along with soup making. Who knew you could get so excited about soup?!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
400g new season lamb’s liver
Good splash of olive oil
2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 x 400g can Italian chopped tomatoes with herbs
75 mls chicken stock
Few drops Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
400g cooked small Irish new potatoes
Two handfuls baby spinach leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- Rinse the liver and pat dry. Remove any tubey bits if they are large and slice liver thinly if it’s in thick pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry liver to brown both sides. Add garlic and cook for a few seconds more, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Pour over the chopped tomatoes and stock. Add Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce and bring to bubbling. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add new potatoes and cover with a lid. Lower heat and simmer gently for about ten minutes or until potatoes are heated through.
- Add spinach at the end of cooking time to wilt.
- Check seasoning and add extra Worcestershire sauce or Tabasco to taste. Serve with extra steamed new potatoes on the side if you wish.