I’m so lucky to have received a gift of some wonderful overgrown courgettes, hence marrow I’m informed. They have provided great inspiration for some cakes, as has my super crop of figs so far this year. It is such a pleasure to be baking using products straight from the garden. This chocolate cake is moist, rich and dark, topped with dark chocolate and coconut topping. Or serve with hot chocolate sauce and caramelized figs.
This makes a 1-pound loaf tin (6 thick slices)
125g self-raising flour
175g caster sugar
42g cocoa powder
½ tsp bread soda
150ml almond milk
62ml vegetable oil
125g coarsely grated courgette
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Grease the base and sides of a straight sided loaf tin then line the base with parchment paper.
- Peel the courgette, de-seed and grate the firm flesh. Squeeze gently to remove excess water then set aside.
- Sift together the flour, caster sugar, cocoa and baking powder.
- Whisk together the almond milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Add the oil mixture to the sifted flour, and then fold in the courgette.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared tin, level the surface then bake until cooked through, between 50 minutes and 1 hour, keep checking occasionally, if you feel the top of the cake is getting too dark, turn down the oven to about 160C, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool fully then turn out of the tin.
- Prepare the chocolate topping, which can either coat the cake or be served hot as sauce.
40gr dark vegan chocolate
30gr tinned coconut milk
Pinch sea salt
- Melt the chocolate over a bain marie of water.
- Once warm and melted, add the coconut milk and a pinch of salt.
- Stir until smooth, if coating the cake allow it to cool and thicken a
little Otherwise serve hot.
½ fig per person cut into wedges or slices.
1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- Gently heat a non-stick pan, add the sugar and cook to caramel.
- Next carefully add the figs and cook gently on each side, once cooked remove onto a clean sheet of parchment paper.
- Serve warm with warmed cake and chocolate sauce.