Chelsea’s underperforming stars challenged to prove worth to incoming Xabi Alonso

Confirmation on Sunday of the former Real Madrid boss’ appointment on a four-year deal has brought reason for optimism the club have learned from past mistakes and may be about to emerge from a prolonged period of underachievement.
Chelsea’s underperforming stars challenged to prove worth to incoming Xabi Alonso

Robert O'Connor, Press Association

Chelsea interim head coach Calum McFarlane said the players will need to prove to incoming manager Xabi Alonso they can perform consistently as an underwhelming season comes to a close.

Confirmation on Sunday of the former Real Madrid boss’ appointment on a four-year deal has brought reason for optimism the club have learned from past mistakes and may be about to emerge from a prolonged period of underachievement.

The 44-year-old was the favoured candidate throughout the process from among a number that were considered and it is hoped internally that his standing and reputation in the game will raise standards within the squad and put an end to a culture of excuses that has taken root.

The Blues lost 1-0 to Manchester City in Saturday’s FA Cup final, closing off their likeliest route into Europe next season.

They have not won in the Premier League since March 4 and have taken one point from their last seven games.

They face Tottenham at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday and McFarlane believes the players must show their new manager, who could be in attendance, they are better than their miserable league form suggests.

“We’ve seen what they’re capable of and they need to do it on a more consistent basis,” he said. “With all the injuries in our squad, we went toe to toe with Man City. It was an even game, a 50-50 game.

“(Antoine) Semenyo decided it with a bit of quality, but that could have been a Chelsea player. It shows the level of this group.

“We haven’t done it on a consistent basis. But there’s been a lot of change. There’s been a lot that’s gone on at the club.

“It’s not my place to say what’s right or wrong, but that can affect momentum, can affect the group. When they’re at their best, they’re up there with anyone in Europe.”

The players’ attitude has been called into serious question this season, with certain of the squad appearing to down tools under former boss Liam Rosenior who, although liked, failed to command the respect of the dressing room.

Alonso has been chosen as a coach whose achievements can serve as an example. A two-time Champions League winner as a player with Liverpool and Real, he guided Bayer Leverkusen to an historic unbeaten title-winning season in the Bundesliga in 2023/24.

McFarlane believes Chelsea and their new boss are a good fit.

“It doesn’t surprise me,” he said. “It’s a massive club, we’ve got really exciting players, some of the best players in the world. They’ve shown at times the quality that we have. It’s a massive club and it will always attract top players and top managers.

“He sent me a text message yesterday, I’ll keep that private. Mainly around the final. We’ve had a brief conversation by text.

“Everyone at the club is excited. A great coach, had a really good career so far, won major trophies. A great playing career. He will have a lot of respect form everyone. It’s a really exciting appointment.”

More in this section

Bruno Fernandes proud to join Premier League’s ‘main names’ with assist record Bruno Fernandes proud to join Premier League’s ‘main names’ with assist record
MSP ‘astonished’ over ‘failure’ to anticipate Celtic football disorder MSP ‘astonished’ over ‘failure’ to anticipate Celtic football disorder
Mohamed Salah should be dropped for last Liverpool game – Wayne Rooney Mohamed Salah should be dropped for last Liverpool game – Wayne Rooney

Sponsored Content

City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out 55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more