Walk marks 30th anniversary of Fiona Pender disappearance

The pregnant 25-year-old’s body has never been found.
Walk marks 30th anniversary of Fiona Pender disappearance

By Cillian Sherlock, Press Association

A fresh appeal for information has been made as a memorial walk marked the 30th anniversary of the disappearance and murder of Fiona Pender.

Pender was last seen at approximately 6am on Friday August 23 1996 in her flat on Church Street in Tullamore, Co Offaly.

The 25-year-old was seven months pregnant when she went missing.

Fiona Pender memorial in Tullamore
The walk started from the Fiona Pender memorial in Tullamore (PA)

Her body has never been found and no one has been brought to justice over her disappearance and murder.

On Sunday, scores of locals gathered at a memorial for Pender in Tullamore that was surrounded by pictures of her, as well as flowers, balloons and candles.

Family friend Brendan Killeavy said: “The community in Tullamore is gathered here to remember Fiona Pender on the 30th anniversary since she sadly left us back in 1996 – a very long time now.

“We’re gathering here to remember Fiona and her baby, and I suppose an appeal out today as well for information.

“Thirty years is a long time, but we feel that there’s people that have information that would resolve this.

“No matter how small the information is, if you think it’s irrelevant, it will be very relevant to the gardaí to bring that forward to help the Pender family, her friends and the community of Tullamore as well.”

Police tape at a forested site
Police outlined work done over the past 30 years, including a search of open ground in Tullamore in May last year (PA)

On Friday, gardaí renewed an appeal for information and outlined work undertaken in the case over three decades.

A spokesperson said: “Significant inquiries have been carried out in order to establish Fiona’s whereabouts and to investigate the circumstances of her disappearance and murder.

“During this period, the investigation team have discovered and collated thousands of documents and reports, taken over 300 statements of evidence and retained a number of exhibits.

“Five people were arrested and detained in connection with this investigation and extensive searches have been carried out.”

The spokesperson added: “Gardaí continue to appeal to any person who may have previously come forward who felt they could not provide Gardaí with all the information they had in relation to this matter, to contact the investigation team again.”

More in this section

Protest in Dublin over Skyclarys reimbursement Protest in Dublin over Skyclarys reimbursement
What the papers say: Sunday's front pages What the papers say: Sunday's front pages
Gavin Reilly: 'The last couple years have proved silly season really doesn't exist anymore' Gavin Reilly: 'The last couple years have proved silly season really doesn't exist anymore'

Sponsored Content

Transform your career, your way: choose MTU part-time education Transform your career, your way: choose MTU part-time education
Keeping their house in order: How PSRA regulation has raised the bar for Ireland’s property services sector Keeping their house in order: How PSRA regulation has raised the bar for Ireland’s property services sector
"My master's at UL taught me that structured learning and a demanding career can coexist" "My master's at UL taught me that structured learning and a demanding career can coexist"
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more