Natalie McNally’s killer called himself a ‘monster’ in probation statements

Stephen McCullagh denied the murder of his pregnant partner, but was found guilty following a five-week trial at Belfast Crown Court.
Natalie McNally’s killer called himself a ‘monster’ in probation statements

By By Press Association Reporters

The man found guilty of murdering his pregnant partner, Natalie McNally, has referred to himself as a “monster” and expressed regret, a sentencing hearing has been told.

Stephen McCullagh, 36, of Woodland Gardens, Lisburn, denied the charge of murder, but was found guilty by a jury at Belfast Crown Court earlier this year following a five-week trial.

McNally, 32, had been 15 weeks pregnant with their son when she was murdered at her home in Lurgan in December 2022.

A sentencing hearing on Thursday was told McCullagh made “self-contradictory” and “incredible” statements to his probation officer, first insisting he “was convinced that he was not guilty of the murder”.

Stephen McCullagh court case
Noel and Bernie McNally, the parents of Natalie McNally outside Belfast Crown Court in March (PA)

McCullagh, wearing a blue T-shirt, glasses and grey trousers, was present for the hearing, sitting in the dock, while Ms McNally’s family watched on from the public gallery.

Prosecuting barrister Charles MacCreanor KC said: “When the jury came back so quickly, he only then began to suspect that he might be responsible, although he cannot make sense of the murder.”

Speaking of McNally, McCullagh went on to say: “I don’t remember feeling the need for her to die,” according to the probation report.

The probation officer further noted McCullagh described the murder as “evil” and “vicious”, and referred to himself as “a monster”, the court heard.

He also said: “I’m sorry for what I did to that poor family, what I did to Natalie,” and “I would take it back if I could.”

McCullagh reportedly stated he “wants to be part of the solution” and “to be a mentor for other men”, which prosecution said goes against the murderer’s initial blaming of Natalie’s death on her ex-boyfriend.

“He was assessed as causing a high likelihood of further offending,” Mr MacCreanor said, citing the probation report.

“There is no evidence of any insight into his behaviour.

“He will require long-term risk management, including long-term interventions.”

The trial heard that McCullagh concocted an alibi that he had been live-streaming himself playing computer games on his YouTube channel when McNally was murdered on December 18 2022.

But police experts discovered the six-hour stream had actually been filmed four days before, and broadcast as live on December 18.

MacCreanor KC said the murderer had put on a “staged performance” in the aftermath of the killing.

He said Ms McNally had sustained serious and extensive injuries in a “brutal assault”.

He said this included the compression of her neck, as well as stab wounds to her neck and blunt force trauma to her head consistent with at least five heavy blows.

He said either the compression or the stab wounds could have caused her death on their own, but there was difficulty in determining the final sequence of events.

MacCreanor told the court that McCullagh had put forward an “orchestrated show” as the person who raised the alarm about her death and the police initially considered him to be overwhelmed.

He added: “That of course was all a staged performance by him, one that he may have thought he had gotten away with.”

He said this was part of a “front” which showed the “callous, premeditated nature” of the offence.

MacCreanor said McCullagh had no difficulty launching a false alibi and pointing finger of blame at another person – Ms McNally’s  ex-boyfriend – while presenting as a victim who lost his pregnant partner.

In reference to the fake “Violent Night” livestream, he said: “The craft of his false alibi was significant.”

He said it was part of efforts to avoid detection in his “murderous plan”.

Defence barrister John Kearney KC argued McCullagh’s minimum term could fall within the 15 to 16 years starting point.

He further told the hearing there was no evidence the murder of Ms McNally contained elements of “punishment or humiliation”, as prosecution argued – notably that she was found with her face in a dog bowl.

MacCreanor responded by telling the court Ms McNally had also suffered a stab wound to her pelvis area, near to “where her unborn child was developing at the time”, which he said was a “specific act” by McCullagh.

Trial Judge Justice Kinney is expected deliver the sentence tariff at a hearing on June 3rd.

More in this section

Sex offences cases against Jeffrey Donaldson and his wife ‘to run together’ Sex offences cases against Jeffrey Donaldson and his wife ‘to run together’
Taoiseach greeted by French president on arrival for talks in Paris Taoiseach greeted by French president on arrival for talks in Paris
Protest outside Leinster House after death of Yves Sakila Protest outside Leinster House after death of Yves Sakila

Sponsored Content

The future is flexible for cleaner energy use in business The future is flexible for cleaner energy use in business
City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more