Taoiseach and Tánaiste say Lurgan attack attempt was ‘appalling’ and ‘deeply chilling’

Micheál Martin and Simon Harris have condemned the attempted proxy bomb attack in Lurgan on Monday.
Taoiseach and Tánaiste say Lurgan attack attempt was ‘appalling’ and ‘deeply chilling’

By Rebecca Black and Grainne Ni Aodha, Press Association

The Taoiseach and Tánaiste have described an attempt at a proxy bomb attack on a police station in Northern Ireland as “appalling” and “deeply chilling”.

Dissident republicans have been blamed for the incident late on Monday which saw a food delivery driver hijacked in Lurgan and forced to drive a “crude but viable” device to the Co Armagh town’s police station.

It has been roundly condemned by political leaders across Northern Ireland.

Tanaiste Simon Harris
Simon Harris said ‘the dark history needs to be left there’ (PA)

Police blasted it as likely to have been a “sad and futile” bid by dissident republicans to “make themselves relevant” ahead of the anniversary of the Easter Rising.

The 1916 rising is marked annually as one of the events leading to the independence of the Republic of Ireland from British rule in 1922.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin told reporters on Wednesday morning he “despaired” at the thought of the attack.

Martin said an “appalling” tactic had been used, one which was “witnessed before during The Troubles”.

At that time, he said, there were “horrendous outcomes” and described the plan as the product of “a very degraded mind”.

Speaking outside Leinster House, he said: “It’s depressing that that type of thinking is still prevalent, and there is no room for it in our society.

“Our thoughts go to the PSNI community, they need our support, they need the support of everybody in Northern Ireland and on the Island of Ireland.”

Simon Harris
Tánaiste and Finance Minister Simon Harris also condemned the attack (Brian Lawless/PA)

As he arrived for the Cabinet meeting, Tánaiste Simon Harris said Northern Ireland’s dark history needs to be left there.

“What we have seen in Lurgan is deeply chilling and deeply concerning, and I take very seriously what the PSNI say,” he told reporters outside the Oireachtas.

Harris said: “The dark history needs to be left just there, and it is a reminder of the fact that we can never ever let our guard down in relation to that.

A forensic recovery lorry leaves the police station in Lurgan, Co Armagh
Inquiries into the incident are continuing (Liam McBurney/PA)

“We have a peace process on the island of Ireland, an enduring one, an ongoing one, and this chilling event is deeply concerning.”

Earlier, Stormont Justice Minister Naomi Long said the Police Service of Northern Ireland takes the ongoing risk from dissident republicans seriously.

She told BBC Radio Ulster’s Good Morning Ulster programme: “If they weren’t intent in causing harm, then they wouldn’t be in those groups, it’s the only purpose that they serve.

“From our perspective, we take it seriously.

“I know the PSNI work very hard to keep people safe, to suppress the activities of these organisations and where they can do so, bring the people involved to justice.

“But we can’t be complacent about the risks.”

More in this section

CC Dublin vet faces fitness-to-practise inquiry after conviction over unlawful euthanasia of dogs
Catherine Connolly to meet King Charles during UK visit Catherine Connolly to meet King Charles during UK visit
Euromillions jackpot First-ever €1 million scratch card prize won in Wexford

Sponsored Content

City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours City Tiles and Bathrooms: Latest trends and timeless colours
Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week Step into nature during National Biodiversity Week
55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out 55 years of Cork Simon Soup Run: The light that has never gone out
Contact Us Cookie Policy Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

© Examiner Echo Group Limited

Add Echolive.ie to your home screen - easy access to Cork news, views, sport and more